what springs are best for towing

bombx3

hi i have a 2004 defender 90 it has a litte lean on her now so i want to invest in new springs and shocks but dont want to lift it.I tow a 2.5 ton trailer which pulls her down a bit now ,can you recomend what make standard height springs front and back also shocks.looked through the magazines but its a bit confusing if you dont want a lift kit

would you use standard shocks or not

Standard or a good quality (not bling bling) replacement such as Old Man Emu, Monroe, Bilstein. OME springs are also damn good quality. You might consider using Trev's spring rate calculator (tech archive) to work out what you need - it will suggest genuine & OME spring numbers for you.

If your trailer is pulling the back of the 90 down then the trailer may not be loaded correctly. The load on the hitch should be no more then 150kg. Standard springs and genuine shocks should be fine. Genuine shocks are not as expensive as people fear!! 15 quid a pair on ebay from John Craddock.

Thanks for all the replys just took of all the springs and the shocks are not returning and the springs on the near side are have are half inch shorter which explains the lean!! why?? will sorce new tomorrow been offered standard height heavy duty britpart and gas shocks at brookwells in devon £200 all in is this any good?

Heavy duty sh!t part will shake your fillings out.

Your shocks are probably originals and won't be gas pressurised so shouldn't return. Only bin them if the are leaking oil.

Your springs are meant to be different lengths n/s to o/s as the vehicle weighs different amounts side to side. Check out the spring lengths in the tech archive and you will see that the four standard springs for a 90 are different lengths. HERE

Best advice so far is the air helpers in my opinion.