Lift kit for defender

Hi, this weekend ive realised that i needed 2 things.

One is bigger tyres , the other was lifting my90.

Well the tyres that are going into the 90 are insa turbo special track 265/75 r16.

Now i need some opinion about the suspensions.

I was thinking about the gwyn lewis kit, or llama4x4...

Do you have another setup? What are the diferences between those i mencioned above?

The purpose is for trial, but still a road capable.

this is my defender for now.

post-14042-125435794723_thumb.jpg

The kit supplied by llama uses many of gwyn lewis's parts just that they use different shocks, Gwyns kit uses Old man emu which are regarded as proberly the best you can buy for LR, however quality comes at a price (about £90 a corner) on the other hand llama 4x4 use Rough country shocks which are about half maybe less than half the price of OME ones.

If you do a search for Rough country shocks on here you should find plenty of people who like them and many others who dont. Really it depends how much you have to spend?

Dave.

You dont need to lift your truck to run tyres upto 33's This could save you £££'s on castor corrected radius arms or Swivels upfront. The saving could warrant the OLD MAN EMU option?

Im running a Gywn Lewis set-up with "Rough Country" shocks. Using LR NRC9448 Springs with 235/85R16 Insa Special Trak.

The rear tyres will rub on the inner archs at max. However there isnt much more movement in the rear upper 3 link joint (on axle) at this point.

Im running the wide angle rear prop from Gywn too. But hav'nt seen the need for one on the front.

Hope this helps, all i have metioned is what im running and it works ;) Drives reasonable too, trips to Kirton have demonstrated that.

ATB

Mark

I would agree Mark there you can save money buy not going with a 2" lift, I bought mine with a 2" lift but have now gone too a 1" lift but im running 34" tyres. It drives much better and it saves wear on UJ's ect. and drives much better as the COG is a bit lower.

Im not sure if you can but you maybe able to use gwyns kit with no lift, It does say you can do it with a 1" lift and that way you would get v.good articulation.

Dave.

Im not sure if you can but you maybe able to use gwyns kit with no lift, It does say you can do it with a 1" lift and that way you would get v.good articulation.

Dave.

The stock LR90 Springs standard hieght NRC 9446 is at 15.19" The 110HD NRC9448 is at 15.31" (the size im running)

So basically im running no lift. Especially when i have the added wieght of Cage and winches.

Couple Images of the set-up i have.

P1010128.jpg

P1010129.jpg

Something i would add, is i had yellow HDbritpart springs for a week or two with the GL set-up. They were very stiff and unforgiving.

ATB

Mark

i had yellow HDbritpart springs for a week or two with the GL set-up. They were very stiff and unforgiving

I know that feeling, Ive currently got a set on the back of mine very harsh, but they dont seem too flex too bad. Going to swap them over for some D44/OME springs

Dave.

Gwyn lewis all the way!! he does 4 different +5" shocks (rough country/ pro comp/ terra firma/ ome) and there pretty much in that order with price aswell. The choice obviously will be yours! remember you get what you pay for!!!!!! but give him a call and he will advise you correct.

You will get good service from him and prompt postage amongst other things,but most important great advise.

Well, the tyres i will bw running are insa turbo special track 35/10.5 r16...

About the kit i would go for terrafirma shock, ome springs,2 inch lift....and i would change the Challenge Rear Shock Mounting for this Challenge Rear Shock Mounting 3 position,change the Rear Spring Retainers for Heavy Duty Spring Retainers.

I me not going to buy the front and rear propshafts for now, and the rear trailing arms.

This is my idea.

Well, the tyres i will bw running are insa turbo special track 35/10.5 r16...

About the kit i would go for terrafirma shock, ome springs,2 inch lift....and i would change the Challenge Rear Shock Mounting for this Challenge Rear Shock Mounting 3 position,change the Rear Spring Retainers for Heavy Duty Spring Retainers.

I me not going to buy the front and rear propshafts for now, and the rear trailing arms.

This is my idea.

Do insa do a 35" Tyre now? Are you re-gearing for 35"'s, Axles or an Auto with an early 110 Tranfer maybe?

I assume your are gonna adjust the castor angle upfront for the lift? You mentioned you wanted good road manners, the steering can be a bit wooly without some adjustment.

ATB

Mark

Do insa do a 35" Tyre now? Are you re-gearing for 35"'s, Axles or an Auto with an early 110 Tranfer maybe?

I assume your are gonna adjust the castor angle upfront for the lift? You mentioned you wanted good road manners, the steering can be a bit wooly without some adjustment.

ATB

Mark

No, well ive got a friend that have a defender 90 300tdi.

he can rum 35/10.5 r16 silverstone, so i think i can manage.I was trying to find a reduce kit for a 94 defender 90 transfer box at ashctoft.Any ideas?

for £1000 id buy a rear locker and some simex coppies rather than wasting it on suspension you dont really need at the mo.

although if you do want to go for suspension buy right and buy once go gwyn lewis OME !