Split charge and aux circuits

Harrod

Hi all,

I've been looking at split charging and installing some auxillary circuits into the truck, and as such have come up with the following diagram. Could an adult look over it and make sure i havent made any glaring errors / suggest anything i've forgotten or that could be a good idea? I think the diagram is fairly obvious, and i havent done any calcs for ratings of anything yet!

Also does anyone know of any battery protectors that automatically disconnect the load if the voltage drops too low? i've got one but it only copes with 20 Amps.

Thanks!

Truck_wiring.pdf

Hi all,

I've been looking at split charging and installing some auxillary circuits into the truck, and as such have come up with the following diagram. Could an adult look over it and make sure i havent made any glaring errors / suggest anything i've forgotten or that could be a good idea? I think the diagram is fairly obvious, and i havent done any calcs for ratings of anything yet!

Also does anyone know of any battery protectors that automatically disconnect the load if the voltage drops too low? i've got one but it only copes with 20 Amps.

Thanks!

In reverse order - use the 20A voltage sensitive relay to drive a bigger (100A relay)?

You don't need a relay for the rear work lamp (55A is only 5A, most switches are 10A+) but you do need a pilot light on the switch to be 100% legal. Also, being able to turn your front spots on independently of the main beam means you will have to be careful on the road.

The "jump start" switch will need to cope with the cranking amps of a cold engine - 300A+ is typical - what did you have in mind?

I'm not familiar with the SCR unit you've used, but should the sense line be taken battery side of the isolator?

Lastly, If you have a battery sensed alternator this isolator will have to have a second set of contacts for the battery sensing lead - loads of recent threads on here somewhere :ph34r:

Haven't really thought about it all fully, just throwing some ideas around. i was going to use an FIA Isolator with a resistor (i think?) to protect the alternator as mentioned in other threads here.

As for switches... i'm gonna try and find the money for carling technology switches [homer]mmmmm..... switches....[/homer] and i believe they all have indicators in it.

I'll have to check the data sheet for the SCR on that one. Haven't looked for a switch for the jump switch, but have seen some isolators that can take 5000amps for 5 secs, maybe they would suit.

thanks