Help with gearbox repair please

sotal

I've got the 1988 Parts Catalogue which has been really useful,

I've got the revised Haynes manual which is OK but misses some of the later changes,

I've got the Series III Repair manual which floats about the internet but this doesn't have any of the later changes in it.

Didn't have much time tonight but I fully dismantled the mainshaft by removing the awkward circlip, and I removed the Input Shaft to remove the primary pinion bearing.

Pictures from tonight can be viewed here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/celica1.8st/Moregearbox?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzSs9zk8M_HhgE&feat=directlink

Questions:

1. How do you remove the primary pinion bearing? The haynes manual simple states to press it off.

2. The Mainshaft Bush is supposed to be a 2 peice bush, but my looks like a 1 peice bush that's broken in two - does it look right to you?

Cheers

didnt press mine, you shouldnt have to press bearings. I fit them every week to winches we build, at the most you should have a very light tap fit. If bearings are pressed on too much they expand the inners, and then they run tight and wear out. An internet search should provide you with bearing fit tolerances, they might even be in the Zeus book, but i havent got time to look right now.

I Still can't get that bearing off!

Did some more work on it tonight though and stripped it down a bit further - reverse gear shaft looks knackered to me, I couldn't even turn the gear on the shaft - no idea how it worked before!

Pictures can be viewed here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/celica1.8st/Anotherday?authkey=Gv1sRgCNqptamQrI2SUA&feat=directlink

I Still can't get that bearing off!

Did some more work on it tonight though and stripped it down a bit further - reverse gear shaft looks knackered to me, I couldn't even turn the gear on the shaft - no idea how it worked before!

Pictures can be viewed here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/celica1.8st/Anotherday?authkey=Gv1sRgCNqptamQrI2SUA&feat=directlink

Don't worry about the bearing, get a larger hammer and beat the silly out of it. <_<

A trick when you install the new bearing is to put the pinion shaft in the freeze box for a day, it'll help when sliding the new bearing into place.

The reverse gear shaft, is that rust or a build up of carp on it? Possibly a good cleaning is all that it needs.

Todd.

Really not sure i like the look of the reverse gear shaft...a polish is in order for sure...i didnt take my shaft out, it was all bright and shiny and went round, so i left it alone. if the bearings knacked it won't be going very fast anyway...i'll live with it.

Put a blowlamp on the bearing, try expanding it, works for me. You need the shaft gripped in soft jaws in the vice with the end of the shaft on some soft packing. Heat the old bearing up all round trying not to get heat on the shaft, then attack with big hammer and drift...sounds like you might need to go up to a steel drift now...

The reverse gear shaft, is that rust or a build up of carp on it? Possibly a good cleaning is all that it needs.

That was after it had been through the parts washer!! It's badly pitted over that darker section

Really not sure i like the look of the reverse gear shaft...a polish is in order for sure...i didnt take my shaft out, it was all bright and shiny and went round, so i left it alone. if the bearings knacked it won't be going very fast anyway...i'll live with it.

Put a blowlamp on the bearing, try expanding it, works for me. You need the shaft gripped in soft jaws in the vice with the end of the shaft on some soft packing. Heat the old bearing up all round trying not to get heat on the shaft, then attack with big hammer and drift...sounds like you might need to go up to a steel drift now...

Think it's going to have to be a replacement shaft for the reverse gear.

Will get a bit more serious with that bearing! It's in a so0ft jaw vice at the moment, I've tried all sorts of drifts and even moved up to a bigger hammer! Will try a bit of heat from the blow torch

To remove the primary pinion bearing. You have removed the circlip on the input shaft havent you? if so sit the bearing on the top of the vice jaws with the syncro cone between the jaws, then with a copper or preferably aluminium faced hammer drive the shaft out of the bearing. It always works for me.

Didn't have a copper or alluminium faced hammer, so I used the rubber mallet. I heated the inner race up first with the blow torch then put it in the vice as you suggested it and belted it, I did loose a little of the face of my rubber mallet but the bearing has moved off about half way - had to stop as the wife said I was making too much noise :(

I've never stripped a gearbox, so can't help directly, but I just had to comment about you making too much noise,

with a rubber mallet!!

You must have been using a very persuasive tone of voice!!!

Borrowing the philosophy from Hybrid_From_Hell - Counselling helps, but screaming obscenities is far far cheaper, did you try asking for counselling?

Perhaps we shouldn't know, not in a Land Rover Technical Forum, spanners might slip.

:-)

Written in a frivolous frame of mind!

I agree completley! It wasn't that loud but our garage is underneath our bedroom, and our toddler was asleep upstairs - so I was getting nagged.

I've been impressed with the amount of time I've been able to spend on the gearbox so I can't moan too much! :ph34r:

On a positive note I managed to get a brand new suffix D synchro hub for £20 from ebay, and a kind forum member of another forum sent me a pair of brand new synchro baulk rings (is that the right name) the two brass rings. So I'm starting to get a collection of brand new bits to fit