Broken Starter Motor, Why?

zardos

My 3.9 V8 has started eating starter motors for breakfast :wacko:

Any ideas why it is doing this to starter motors?

post-1948-125519620783_thumb.jpg

It's the second one that has snapped the nose cone off (note this vehicle does get used off road but it looked fine when is was removed a few days before it broke)

Hi, Mine did just this when the front springs were realy shot and the bump stops missing,the front axle and starter made a lasting imperssion on each other when thay made solid contact! it broke the starter motor clean in two, has the starter been changed as the solinoid was moved from bottom to top of the starter or was that the way it had been assembled, anyone?

Might be worth checking things like engine mounts and anything which could lead to axle and engine collision !! complete sob when it happened to me!

Hi, Mine did just this when the front springs were really shot and the bump stops missing,the front axle and starter made a lasting impression on each other when they made solid contact! it broke the starter motor clean in two, has the starter been changed as the solenoid was moved from bottom to top of the starter or was that the way it had been assembled, anyone?

Might be worth checking things like engine mounts and anything which could lead to axle and engine collision !! complete sob when it happened to me!

This happened just after all the engine mounts had been replaced, the first breakage was before the engine mounts where replaced.

Note the bit that has broken off is inside the bell housing so unlikely to be hit by the axle.

The solenoid position has always been this way (on the bottom) for this engine.

Also there are no gaps between the bell housing and the engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...