Duff Diff?

Disco_Dunk

Hi Guys........ I've got an ex-RAC N-reg (300tdi) Disco, and it's been developing a drivetrain vibration at about 65mph and above. I'd noticed that the vibration disappears as soon as I let my foot off the accelerator (even when still running over 65).

My first thought was rear prop UJ, so I whipped the prop off and swapped the UJ, but no joy. HOWEVER...... when removing the propshaft, I noticed that the rubber 'do-nut' is really slack (for want of a better description) - I can waggle the do-nut about all over the shop, and it's not the donut itself that's loose, it's the whole flange assembly.

So, now I'm guessing that the 'front' bearings in the diff are shot, which is probably backed up by the oil that's leaking from the diff!....... does that sound like a fair assumption?

If it IS the case, am I looking at a full diff re-build, or is it relatively straightforward to replace the bearings?....... to be honest I'll be inclined to replace the diff with a recon unit, rather than re-build it!!

Cheers

Dunk

Is the donut visibly deteriorating by any chance? Does it look like it's ever been replaced?

The reason I ask is that my 98 Disco sounded similar to yours, until one day the donut disitergrated on a slip road and destroyed the rear diff as it went. Had the donut been replaced then the dodgy bloke who flogged me the car would have had me offloading it onto his forecourt on a Sunday morning.

Anyhow. Someone who knows more than me will be along soonish.

Hi Guys........ I've got an ex-RAC N-reg (300tdi) Disco, and it's been developing a drivetrain vibration at about 65mph and above. I'd noticed that the vibration disappears as soon as I let my foot off the accelerator (even when still running over 65).

My first thought was rear prop UJ, so I whipped the prop off and swapped the UJ, but no joy. HOWEVER...... when removing the propshaft, I noticed that the rubber 'do-nut' is really slack (for want of a better description) - I can waggle the do-nut about all over the shop, and it's not the donut itself that's loose, it's the whole flange assembly.

So, now I'm guessing that the 'front' bearings in the diff are shot, which is probably backed up by the oil that's leaking from the diff!....... does that sound like a fair assumption?

If it IS the case, am I looking at a full diff re-build, or is it relatively straightforward to replace the bearings?....... to be honest I'll be inclined to replace the diff with a recon unit, rather than re-build it!!

Cheers

Dunk

If as you say the flange is able to be moved in any direction other than rotary & you dont know what you are doing with it repair wise then get a rebuilt unit as running with that much play will have done some damage to the crown wheel & pinion.

Thanks guys.....sounds like a recon diff on order then!!...... is there an easy way to sort out if I need a 10-spline or 24-spline diff - do both ends of the half-shaft have the same number of splines, or do I have to pull the shaft completely to check the inner end?

Ta

Dunk

What Phil said ^^^

If it is "really slack" then get it done ASAP or there may be an expensive bang followed by a hedge, in that order!

I am 99.9% sure a 300Tdi Disco will be 24 spline, I think all Discoverys are 24 spline but sure that 300s are.

You shouldn't find any splines on the outside end as the shaft should be one piece with the drive member :D

early Discos have 10spline same as the RR classics had with 2 piece CV's large mushroom headed drive members

a 300 will be 24spline and have 1 piece rear halfshafts with the slim mushroom head as fitted to the 300 Defender

Thanks for clearing up the splines fellas - 24 it is then! Anyone got a spare they wanna get rid of?? :unsure:

Dunk

(PS - no lift kit fitted, but I'm guessing as it's an ex-recovery motor it's probably worked hard, though not off-road)

early Discos have 10spline same as the RR classics had with 2 piece CV's large mushroom headed drive members

a 300 will be 24spline and have 1 piece rear halfshafts with the slim mushroom head as fitted to the 300 Defender

Thanks for clearing up the splines fellas - 24 it is then! Anyone got a spare they wanna get rid of?? :unsure:

Dunk

(PS - no lift kit fitted, but I'm guessing as it's an ex-recovery motor it's probably worked hard, though not off-road)

Late 200tdi had the thin 24 spline flanges on the front with the flat rear shafts but they were still 10 spline in the diffs. So 200tdi = 10 spl & 300tdi = 24spl :rolleyes:

I've fitted a late 200TDI axle with the thin halfshafts ends and that was 24spline

I haven't seen thin one piece halfshafts that are 10spline personally.

Ive got a pair of thin flange 10 spline axles. The fronts are 24 spline in the flange but 10 in the diff. The rears externally look the same as the 24 spline variant but are definitely 10 spline in the diff. :rolleyes: