Hello and a question

Micky-Disco

Firstly I'd like to say hello to you all.

Just bought my first Landy on Saturday, and I totally love it.

She needs a bit of TLC but mainly cosmetics.

One thing I would like to know is if the tailgate hinges on my Disco can

be refurbed or do I need completely new units? as on mine the door has dropped and catches

on the rear bumper/step. What looks like plastic bushes in the hinge are all split and hanging out.

I've seen some hinges around the net and they dont look cheap. Any ideas??

Cheers

Mick ;)

Hello and welcome :) please take a moment to read the forum charter and terms and conditions.

I don't think there is a lot you can do to the hinges except for replace them - it's a common failing. Letting the door go in the wind doesn't help them much either. You may be able to pack the bottom hinge out with washers to improve matters a bit?

Hi thanks for that.

Yeah they aint the cheapest hinges I've ever priced lol

Had a few prices from breakers rangin from £10 to £30 quid for a pair...

So think I'll just replace them. I had also thought about packing them out too ;)

Great minds etc lol

cheers again

Mick

Firstly I'd like to say hello to you all.

Just bought my first Landy on Saturday, and I totally love it.

She needs a bit of TLC but mainly cosmetics.

One thing I would like to know is if the tailgate hinges on my Disco can

be refurbed or do I need completely new units? as on mine the door has dropped and catches

on the rear bumper/step. What looks like plastic bushes in the hinge are all split and hanging out.

I've seen some hinges around the net and they dont look cheap. Any ideas??

Cheers

Mick ;)

Hi Mick,

where are you based ?, I have a set of hinges you can have for a couple of beer tokens,

John

Welcome to LR4x4 - I don't think you will find another forum with such a quick & knowledgeable response.

RE the hinges - I've had to replace both of mine. Straightforward job, got them overnight from the local LR Main Dealer. You'll spend more time getting the trims off than fixing the hinges on, but having learn't the first time, it's a sight easier if you take the trouble to remove the spare wheel before you start..............................(sounds of laughter offstage from those more experienced than me!)

Also, there is a problem with the rear door catch sticking. Whilst you have the trim off the tailgate, take the opportunity to get all the internal mechanism for the catch and lock well lubricated.

Good luck with the Disco :)

Welcome to LR4x4 - I don't think you will find another forum with such a quick & knowledgeable response.

RE the hinges - I've had to replace both of mine. Straightforward job, got them overnight from the local LR Main Dealer. You'll spend more time getting the trims off than fixing the hinges on, but having learn't the first time, it's a sight easier if you take the trouble to remove the spare wheel before you start..............................(sounds of laughter offstage from those more experienced than me!)

Also, there is a problem with the rear door catch sticking. Whilst you have the trim off the tailgate, take the opportunity to get all the internal mechanism for the catch and lock well lubricated.

Good luck with the Disco :)

Cheers for the welcome and the info. Nice tip about the spare wheel ;)

cheers again :D

You got them sorted yet, Mick?

Brian

Hi Brian

Yeah I think so. My tailgate is knackered on the bottom from draggin on the bumper, but managed to find a complete tailgate, in the right colour, with hinges on it on ebay. Got the lot for £20 :D just waiting for the green light from the guy to go collect it ;)

Out of curiousity, why do you ask??

Mick

Hi Brian

Yeah I think so. My tailgate is knackered on the bottom from draggin on the bumper, but managed to find a complete tailgate, in the right colour, with hinges on it on ebay. Got the lot for £20 :D just waiting for the green light from the guy to go collect it ;)

Out of curiousity, why do you ask??

Mick

Hi Mick,

sorry, a bit late getting back to you, but I have 2 tailgates one silver & one yellow & 2 sets of hinges, I am in Birmingham so distance might be an issue for you, if not a £10 gets you what you want

John

Hi Mick,

sorry, a bit late getting back to you, but I have 2 tailgates one silver & one yellow & 2 sets of hinges, I am in Birmingham so distance might be an issue for you, if not a £10 gets you what you want

John

No worries mate. I'll see if I get one from this fella, if not may give you a shout ;)

cheers

Mick