which td5 ?

tricky

hi having sold my N reg TDi I am looking to buy a newer discovery TD5 , can anybody tell me what the difference is in the upgraded models 52 onwards ? I know that the lights front and rear were changed but are there any mechanical changes or interior changes , is it worth spending out the extra to get an upgraded model ? is there anything i should look out for ? thanks for any help :)

02 td5 will have a flashable ECU in case you want it tweaked,

earlier ECUs had to have either a chip put in it or use a dastek plug in box type affair.

Dont know if this is something for ealier ones as well, but the 02 plate V8 i was driving recently auto-locked the doors over 4mph and unlocked them when you turned the engine off. My 2000 td5 doesnt do this. Not sure if this is programable or if i'm missing something.

I think they actually properly removed the centre diff lock from the tranny box at some point around then too. Means you cant retro fit the cdl lever like you can with earlier D2's

There were a large number or tweaks late 2001/early 2002. One such tweak was the improvement of the cylender head, and the plastic dowels (which can cause trouble0 were improved. Any MY 2002 will be pretty sorted.

IMHO the coil-sprung (that's non-SLS air-suspension) are better - less to go wrong, and a decent ride quality.

the 02 plate V8 i was driving recently auto-locked the doors over 4mph and unlocked them when you turned the engine off. My 2000 td5 doesnt do this. Not sure if this is programable

Yes it is - 5 min on Testbook to switch the stupid ruddy thing off along with the equally stupid Single Point Entry (the bit that guarantees the back door is always locked when you want to put something in :rtfm:)

I have to say its always amusing when I reset a DII's security settings to get rid of single point entry and speed locking - the look on the owners face and the endless thanks that follow - I ought really do it for free !

Yep... Detest gadgets. My Disco is now my 2nd car - needed something a bit more "swish" for work. The new car also went to the dealers to get a load of "faff" disabled... It's one of the things I love about my Disco2, big buttons for everything, and very few gadgets... Have grown to like auto windscreen wipe tho.

Still don't like the Disco using teh rear wiper when you hit reverse (with front wipers on)...If I wanted it on, I would switch it on!

Still don't like the Disco using teh rear wiper when you hit reverse (with front wipers on)...If I wanted it on, I would switch it on!

:( i like that feature as well :(

But in my defence i do drive a tdi 90 with no rear wiper at all as my DD, so having the luxury of a rear wiper - and one that turns itself on and off!!! - is like a big novelty factor for me :D