Paper Sizes for Engineering Drawings.

David Sparkes

I've come across an online Engineering Drawing (~3MB JPG), displaying a Land Rover, naturally, which indicates the Material Size is 'N', with the contents dated 1961, at 1:8 scale.

Using the 60" width of the rear cross-member as a scale rule, the paper would have measured about 30" X 39".

The nearest modern paper sizes are A0 at about 33 x 47 inches, or ANSI E at 34 x 44 inches.

There is a Wikipedia page that mentions ANSI size N, implying it was used for Engineering drawings, but also implying it might be very large, used for 1:1 scale drawings. Also, ANSI is an American standard, so I suspect not in use in 1960s UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size scroll down to the ANSI section.

Does anyone know of a Size N used in UK Engineering Drawing in the 1960s?

Thanks.

Oh, if your curiosity has been whetted - http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/AcrobatFiles/109CoachbuildersDrawingLARGE.jpg

From another Forum I got the response "30" x 40" was a very common drawing size in the 1960s and early '70s."

That validates my 30x39 'estimate by eyeball', and as it fits inside the 33x47 A0 template it clears the way for me to print Actual Size onto A0 and just trim the excess white space, if I need to.

Thanks for your responses, I think we can consider this thread as complete.