All Terrains

Exmoor Beast

All Terrains then. Disco 1 with 2" lift

First thoughts are BFG AT 235/85x16s, I know they will do 60,000miles+ and are pretty good in the gloop.

there seem to have been several new At patterns of late so whats everyone elses opinion of the newcomers?

Am I going for the right size at 235/85x16?

Will :)

Well although my last set only lasted 24,000 miles I would say go for the BFG's :)

My only reservation is that I would have thought 235/85R16 might gear it up a bit too much if you are keeping the standard gearing? I hasten to add I've never had an armchair with that size on but it is quite a big increase over std. 235/70R16 and you have much higher transfer box gearing to start with. Really depends on whether you want relaxed high speed cruising or something a bit more zippy off the mark (which would be my preference) - I just know what a Defender feels like when you move up a couple of sizes and the difference in acceleration feels quite dramatic. I know lots of people run this size on Discoverys but I think it would probably drive me up the wall :)

I have 31-10.5/15 on my disco and I have to say, pulling away at junctions requires a bit of forward planning. Great at 70mph, but a bit slow from the start line.

Great in the mud tho' :D

Oh yeah, and they're not BFG's so no help really...... :rolleyes:

i fitted BFG MT's yesterday on mine.... 33-12.5-15 on 10x15 rims..... and the transformation look wise is amazing.

had to fit those fibre glass arches though and cut out alot of metal but it was definatly worth it.

i chose BFG's because up to date they are the best make of tyres ive ever had for abit of everything.

DSCF0010.jpg

Best save some money for a clutch then, the high gearing means lots of revs and slipping clutch to make a get away, on hills its worse.

Off road the higher gearing means you lose the engine braking in 1st low, when going down hill in the mud or snow you HAVe to use your brakes. Solution, fit a low ratio tranfer box as well.

If you tow anything heavy get used to miles of 4th gear work, (unless you fit that low ratio box).

Geoff

Just to round this off, I have fitted the 235/85s and the gearing is noticably highers but it seems fine. Engine braking also fine, no shortage of 1in4 hills here to test it!

I noticed yesterday that the speedo now reads exactly right! checked by GPS on a straight road.

Will :)