Failed Test

Bigwood

:huh: My Disco just failed its test. Aparantly the handbrake has low efeciency. Before the test it locked on the third click. Now it takes untill the fourth click to lock. The adjuster works ok because it locks the drum with very little movement. There is no adjuster for the cable, the parts book shows mine not having one. I realy dont have time to drag the centre consul out I mite try and put spacers between the outer and the bracket at the bottom end were I can get at it. Any other smart ideas welcome. By the way the problem of front pads ratling in the calipers can be resolved by sliding a peice of split 6mm air pipe down the front edge of the pad backing plate. A bit of superglue keeps it in place. Not my idea it came from another web site user but worth passing on. :)

You didn't tell us which Discovery you have. Looking through some of your previous posts it seems you have an L reg 200tdi.

On 200 series Discovery the hand brake cable can be adjusted from under the vehicle by repositioning the # 7 lock nuts in the diagram:

post-1725-125657140389_thumb.jpg

As CipX says - 2 x locknuts close to and above the drum. you'll need 2 x 19mm spanners or mole grips and a spanner. Not much room in there, but adjust with the handbrake off and take all slack out of the cable, then lock in position with the second nut. If everything else is ok, that should be all there is to it.

Les.

The only way it can fail that can have something to do with the number of clicks is if the lever fouls the center console at the end of the travel.

But as Bigwood said, it failed on the brake efficiency test. That is with a normal amount of force applied to the lever (doesn't matter the number of clicks as long as it doesn't foul the console), the braking force generated by the shoes on the drum is not enough to keep the vehicle immobilized.

It's either oil contamination or someone used the brake to stop the vehicle or drove it with the hand brake on.

Better remove the drum, inspect for oil contamination, although it can be seen from outside, or maybe dirt/mud inside and if the shoes appear to have some life in them give them and the drum a good healthy rub with some 80 grit sand paper to remove the dark deposits, refit, adjust the shoes and the cable (if necessary) and it will pass with no problems.

If you have a good propshaft tool, it takes no more than 20 min to do the job including lifting a rear wheel.

The only way it can fail that can have something to do with the number of clicks is if the lever fouls the center console at the end of the travel.

But as Bigwood said, it failed on the brake efficiency test. That is with a normal amount of force applied to the lever (doesn't matter the number of clicks as long as it doesn't foul the console), the braking force generated by the shoes on the drum is not enough to keep the vehicle immobilized.

It's either oil contamination or someone used the brake to stop the vehicle or drove it with the hand brake on.

Better remove the drum, inspect for oil contamination, although it can be seen from outside, or maybe dirt/mud inside and if the shoes appear to have some life in them give them and the drum a good healthy rub with some 80 grit sand paper to remove the dark deposits, refit, adjust the shoes and the cable (if necessary) and it will pass with no problems.

If you have a good propshaft tool, it takes no more than 20 min to do the job including lifting a rear wheel.

:D Got the pesky handbrake sorted and it passed this morning. :i-m_so_happy: Whilst at work last night I had chance to get the truck up on the lift and do a bit of susing and bogling. No adjuster, no oil on shoes just slack cable. There are no adjusters to be found. Whist at the roadside I had this problem with a clutch cable being too slack and I spaced out the outer cable at the bulkhead. :excl: Same thinking aplied to Discovery handbrake cable. At the lower end the cable is held in the bracket by a "c" clip. Removed clip and pulled cable back to remove slack, put clip back on other side of bracket. Handbrake now has three clicks and locks fully. Tester a bit mifed and proved he knows nowt about Landrovers because he asked wich side needed adjusting. When he was told about the transmision handbrake he looked a blank. We use this garage for the Saab so made sense to use one garage for both tests and service the Saab at one hit.

Click Click to the above.. but then it makes me wonder what he hasn't checked.

Every time my disco was returned from a dealer service the hand brake had five clicks to fully on and I then re-ajusted it down to three clicks.

Now the disco hasn't been for a dealer service for the last seven years the brake has stayed at three clicks, as I have an auto I don't have to use it for hill starts and only use it when parked so the brake drum is never touched now.

My old RR with a similar hand brake stayed at 2 clicks all it's life :D

Ha ha - LR handbrakes and failing MoTs - we had a rash of WOLF failing at work by an outside inspection team - they were failing on imbalance and a long argument ensued about how the hell can you fail a single drum system because it gives differing readings at the wheels - of course its gonna do that, the twist in the half shafts is enough to do that - we won out in the end and they were all put back on the road at the stroke of a pen.......