MegaJolted 3.9 - stalls immediately after restart when warm

maigaard

Hi,

greetings from Sweden.

I installed MegaJolt & Edis8 some months ago in an RRC 3.9, 14CUX. Runs great, pulls well, always starts.

The problem : When really warm, e.g. after 30 min highway driving or off-roading, the engine dies immediately after a restart. It doesnt stall during driving, but if I turn it off and then restart, it will start up fine, and then immediately die. It always starts again, but I need to give a bit of throttle after it starts to keep it alive. It then settles to a low idle of 500-550rpm. It needs to be really warm for this to happen. If I just start it up from cold and let it idle for 10-15 min, then the idle settles to a more reasonable 650-700rpm.

I am running a very slightly modified version of one of the "standard 3.9" maps posted here, I'll post mine once I get it copied over from the laptop in the garage.

What should I do in order to raise the idle RPM when warm ?

- Do the "setting basic idle" procedure for the 14CUX (havent tried that yet) ?

- Cheat the ECU into thinking the AC is on (no AC is fitted) anf let the ECU raise it that way ?

- Advance the timing in the 600rpm area ?

All temp sensors and the IAC valve are new, they went in with the Megajolt system. A new standard cam was also fitted at that time.

/Peter

This sounds more like the problem is fuel related rather than ignition to me. Try 'spoofing' the fuel temperature sensor by disconnecting it and shorting the connectors with a range of resistors from 300 Ohms up wards. I would also manually check the fuel rail temperature - will get warm within a few minutes of stopping the engine and should then cool down within seconds after re-starting.

Can you post a datalog of this problem and your MSQ file?

I suspect it's just that the cranking or afterstart enrichment is wrong when it's hot, it might need a bit more fuel or something like that.

Mega*JOLT* Fridge, tsk tsk :P

I'd be checking your base idle and cleaning out the stepper motor extra air valve on the back of the plenum, check the timing manually on the pulley with a timing light and then think about tinkering with the idle advance, could be a mix of all the above.

Are you sure the diode arrangement from the coil packs are feeding the ECU properly?