Incorrect speedo reading ...

Hi,

I've just fitted a set of Freestyle alloys to a mate's 98 300tdi CSW to replace the steels that were on it. The new alloys are from a Discovery and I'm not sure if they are rated for a 110? I've looked around but cannot find a definate answer... I'm concerned.... :blink:

'If' they are Ok to fit.. How do we get the speedo to read correctly as the tyres are 235/70x16 ? From the distant past when I had my 90 I remember that a sprocket type part that could be fitted to the gearbox..

Any help appreciatted.

Thanks

Gavin

No they are NOT rated for a 110. Go for the correct wheels.

Thank you Mike - I've advised him to take them off.

Do you happen to know the LR names for the alloys suitable for a 110 CSW? I've no idea what mine are called but were fiited when it left the factory.

Gavin

Deep Dish were fitted to 110s in 1997, and Boost on later model 110s up to the present including the Tomb Raider etc and the current Puma vehicles. My anorak is in the wash so I forget the part numbers offhand.

Although the wisdom on Tornado alloys is "they are not rated for a 110" I have never yet found a definite answer as to what the weight rating actually is. They are evidently rated at least for a Discovery Tdi (max rear axle loading 1650kg - 825kg per wheel) but not for a 110 (max rear axle loading 1850kg - 925kg per wheel). The rating of the Tornado must therefore be somewhere between 825 and 925kg.

The implication being that as long as you don't load the 110 up to the roof it should be fine in normal use, but I don't know how the insurance companies see it.

[Tin hat on] They seem less likely to crack up than Mach 5s anyway [/Tin hat off] :ph34r: