Poss vibration & poss whine

sweety

Hi guy's my wife has took very ill & i'm having to fly backwards & forwards to hospital at the min as thing are not great & today I thing i've poss got the start of a vibration & whine starting at about 50-60 mph:( I think it's poss coming from the front end but not sure & was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to check, sorry it's a D2 V8 auto (with new g/box) I've just got to keep the motor running this week & am doing about 60 miles a day going to the hospital. I'm going to see if there are any grease nipples on the props & give them a good grease up but at this is my 1st LR I just don't know where to look

Sorry my head is in bits at the min & just can't think straight

Basically chock the wheels, handbrake off and out of gear, crawl underneath and check for play in any direction in the UJs and in the double joint between the two UJs on the rear end. If you can move it up and down, its fked and will most likely arrive through the floor with an inconvenient bang at some point in the not too distant future at which point you may also require some fresh underwear, exhaust, brake/fuel lines etc depending on which way it went...

just seconding what bogmonster said reaqlly, I had a worn UJ on my Disco which caused a vibration at about 50 - 60 right up to the point when it let go, fortunately I was doing about 3 mph so no major damage.

On the bright side I knew mine was knackered and ignored it for over 1000 miles before it finally ripped the prop shaft apart

Thanks again, it's just started so am hoping i've got a few miles left in it until I can sort it out if it is the UJ's. Just wondering if mine does have diff lock could I remove the front prop & lock the diff manualy then use it in sort of 2WD ? what sort of speed can I safely do if this is the case ? as a rule don't go over 55mph to help save on fuel

Just been under the disco & have given the prop a good shake & noticed a small amount off movement when pushing the prop up & down but couldn't feel feel any movement in the UJ's. The rear UJ looks nice & moist but the front one looks a bit dry & there was some rust around the the edge on one of the spiders (sorry if i'm getting part names wrong). I found there was some movement in the transfer box front out put flange & when I gave it a good shake I could hear a clonk like the shaft was moving in the T/box. Any ideas as I just don't know what to do next or check.

Many thanks for all your help so far

Bit of an update, removed the front prop this morning & took the motor for a quick spin down the road & the vibration seems to have gone or been reduced alot but the whine is still there. I can't seem to find any play in the UJ's on the prop so an very puzzled what it could be :unsure: I had a quick google on the front prop probs & in most cases it said a clicking sound could be heard when the UJ's started to fail but i've not heard any clicking

The "quick spin" was about how many miles? You should run it long enough to heat up the oils all over (gearbox, transfer box, diffs). From cold you should run it for like 10 miles this time of year. It's ok for shorter runs if you already had the vehicle warmed up after a longer journey.

Try doing the same with the rear prop off. While removing the rear prop and before refitting the front prop see what sort of noises you get from the TB.

Basically, try to follow what I suggested here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=48866

And I'll say again, the oil in all the boxes and diffs need to be warm to draw a conclusion.

While you have the front/rear props off wiggle the output flanges as hard as you can to see if there's any play in them. Normally there shouldn't be any but, if there is, see if it's radial or axial play.

I read your previous post about the play, but I suggest to test it again with the prop off.

...but before removing both props, fer gawd's sake chock the wheels as the handbrake works on the rear prop!

Is the whining related to:

- Road speed

- Gear

- Engine revs

- Only at certain speeds / loads (eg accelerating, crusing, lifting off, coasting)

After a nice long run to & from the hospital this afternoon (about 25 miles in total) the whine seems worse on over run & comes on & off when crusing & mainly in 4th gear at about 60mph. After the box is at full working temp at slow speeds when putting power on or taking it off the is a def clonk sound coming from under the drivers seat now :( I have rechecked the front drive flange & I can move it about a bit. The vibration seems to have gone tho.

Got some good news things are starting to look better for my wife & she is hopefully going to be moved out of HDU tomorrow :D