Which front diff for a CSW 110?

Please can somebody who is familiar with Defender 110 differentials help me with part numbers? I have suffered a total front differential failure, with broken cross shaft, broken planet wheel, damaged differential case, damaged crown wheel, etc., and I am having difficulty identifying the correct replacement diff assembly to order.

The Land Rover 90/110 Parts Catalogue, RTC9932CE, published in August 1994, indicates the following part numbers for the differential assembly:

FTC782N Up to VIN JA917433 (Note: FTC782N replaces FRC8521)

FTC2750 From VIN JA917434

However, the Paddock Spares parts listing indicates FTC2750 up to KA930455. This information is in total disagreement with the LR Parts Catalogue, but when I queried Paddock their response was: "We can quote you for FTC2750- £195.00GBP. (recon) This should be the correct number as it has superseded from FTC782."

My vehicle details are:

Vehicle: 1991 110 CSW with LHS (Left Hand Steering)

VIN: SALLDHMV8HA905197

Front Axle No. 21L43395A

Half shafts are 10 spline at the differential and 32 spline at the CV.

CVs appear to be the later type, RTC6862

Firstly, is the Paddock response, that FTC2750 has superseded FTC782N, correct?

Secondly, if the Paddock response is not correct, which is the correct diff assembly for my vehicle?

Thanks, in anticipation, for any clarification on the correct part numbers, which will be very greatly appreciated.

Mike

If your diff is 10-spline then a decent 2nd hand replacement from anything with coil springs will set you back £40 ish, or you could buy a whole 24-spline front axle for around £150.

Just check where the drain/fill holes are on replacements as I know certain combinations it's possible to end up with no way of getting oil into it :rolleyes:

Paddocks' response is correct. FTC782, with either N (New), E (Exchange) or no suffix, was superceded by FTC2750.

Any 10 spline Rover diff will fit your 110, no matter if it's for/from a Defender, Discovery, RR Classic, front axle, rear axle, LHD, RHD etc.

You can use the opportunity to upgrade to a 24 spline diff but you'll need to upgrade the half shafts as well.

Many thanks, FridgeFreezer and cipx2, for clarifying the numbers confusion, and thanks, Western, for bringing crowndiffs to my attention. Their web site is a wealth of differential information! I'm now well on my way to getting a replacement for my front axle.

Mike