Disco 2

suggs

Hey up

our Disco 2 has lost its hooter, push the button and can here the solinoid click under the bonnet but swapped it over anyway and still no horn, fuse is fine too. the horn sounds when the alarm goes off so the unit is fine so seems theres something wrong between the fuse box and actual horn. all the wiring is wrapped up in the loom as far as i can see.

thinking bad earth some were but god know's were it is, MOT due soon so need to sort it..

any ideas

the alarm horn is usually a diffferent horn... but i might be wrong.

easiest way to check horn is just buzz 12 v across the horn. normal offenders are bad earth's usually they are earthed against the chassis, just loosen the nut/bolt and give the area a good clean up then re-tighten. normally this fixes them. but if the horn does not work with 12v across it then the horn is tits.

other than that, do what cipx2 says.

From factory, depending on specs/market, there can be 3 configurations of what the alarm uses to make noise:

1. the horns (both of them) - behind the front grille

2. simple alarm sounder (like a regular car horn without the trumpet part) - right side of the engine compartment on the int wing

3. BBUS - battery back up sounder - rear of the vehicle

If snuggs is positive the alarm sounds the same as the horn use to sound when it worked then he has the #1 configuration and I already said what he should test.

Since there are 2 horns working in parallel with separate earth connections, it's very unlikely for both horns to fail at the same time so I wouldn't worry about testing them.