300Tdi Alarm ECU bypass or has anyone got a spare ?

sj_4x4

Over the last 6 months or so the ECU's on our 300Tdi have been slowly failing, spider, window and now the Alarm, I've by passed the spider and by re-soldering all the joints on the window ECU got that working again but I fear the Alarm one is toasted.

My question is has anyone managed to get the central locking working from the key without the ECU in place ?

or has anyone got a spare AMR 4886 (two button remote) in good working order ?

I have a second alarm unit (aftermarket) fitted to my 300 tdi working in parallel with the factory one (which I don't use regularly) so this is what you can do, remove the factory one and fit another one. You can fully install it or use only the remote locking side if it.

The downside is that you'll need to carry 2 fobs (or leave the factory fob inside the vehicle - not quite recommended).

The factory alarm control unit would have to come with the fobs otherwise it would have to be reprogrammed with your fobs at a LR dealer.

The alarm units come up on ebay quite often at less than 20 quid.

Over the last 6 months or so the ECU's on our 300Tdi have been slowly failing, spider, window and now the Alarm, I've by passed the spider and by re-soldering all the joints on the window ECU got that working again but I fear the Alarm one is toasted.

My question is has anyone managed to get the central locking working from the key without the ECU in place ? or has anyone got a spare AMR 4886 (two button remote) in good working order ?

The C/L ECU is only an interface between the alarm module. Locking with a key operates (via a rod) the master actuator in the drivers door which in turn operates the slave actuators in the remaining doors although with the disco you may have to replace the actuator with one from Maplin. Key operated central locking kits only come with a master and slave actuators, if you require remote operation then you will need a transmitter & receiver/interface.

The C/L ECU is only an interface between the alarm module. Locking with a key operates (via a rod) the master actuator in the drivers door which in turn operates the slave actuators in the remaining doors although with the disco you may have to replace the actuator with one from Maplin. Key operated central locking kits only come with a master and slave actuators, if you require remote operation then you will need a transmitter & receiver/interface.

Thanks for that, so if I can find the trigger wire to/from the ECU then I can remove another of the dark lords little boxes :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that, so if I can find the trigger wire to/from the ECU then I can remove another of the dark lords little boxes :)

Thought I would update this as it may be of some help to someone, my replacement AMR 4886 lasted a couple of months and then it to died.

I purchased a convert your car to central locking kit on ebay (item 170432752017) took most of yesterday to fit. The replacement lock motors fitted as a direct replacement of the originals with no modifications (they must be a standard size) and the wiring loom was also a perfect length with the ECU mounted next to the main fuse box, the central locking is 100 times better then it ever was, it even looks like the flick out key can be cut to fit the ignition.