Windscreen Washer

All,

I have water flow from the pump all the way to the actual windscreen jets. However, from that point something is blocked.

I have had pins in the holes of the jets, tried cleaning them, but all to no avail. Therefore I think I will have to remove the unit from the bulk head.

Does anyone know how ?

Reaching in through the ashtray it feels like there is a nut on the back of it, but as I can't see it I am loathed to keep fiddling with it.

Does anyone have a drawing, ideas on the problem or ideas to repalce them completely,

Cheers chaps,

Nick

Does anyone have a drawing, ideas on the problem or ideas to repalce them completely,

Cheers chaps,

Nick

There is indeed a nut on it, and it's almost certain to be simpler to take the vent covers off to get at it, which needs the top crash pad off, which needs the instrunment panel loosening. Anyway, here's the parts book diagram:

post-8420-125873337682_thumb.jpg

Dashtop removal is the only easy way to get to the washer jet nut, if you drop it at least with the dashtop off you can get it back. no access via vent panels as the anti fly mesh is in the way & ashtray hole is just to small to get fingers & spanner through.

Yup, that's the only way. I tried everything to get to the nut without taking the top pad off but it's not possible unless you're a double jointed gibbon! Once you take it off (fairly easy) it's dead straightforward but instead of cleaning it out put a new one in, they're not expensive and the old one will be full of crud and corroded inside and you'll only be doing the job again later.

Malcolm

Hi

Since it looks as if you have to take the dash apart to get to the washer jet, it might be worth considering upgrading the windscreen washer, since we all know how inadequate the standard set-up can be in the winter. As far as I can see there are two good options for doing this. One involves using washer jets from a Peugeot, as detailed on this website - http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/wipers/index.htm.

The other is simply adding a second one of the standard LR washer jets so that you have one for each side of the windscreen, as shown here - http://www.stowelandrovers.co.uk/defenderwasherjet.html

Hope this helps.

Cheeky