Jerry cans

Hiya,

before i purchase a jerry can holder could any one tell me if there are any laws restrciting the use of these? i am wanting to mount one on my back door in a lockable carrier, is this road legal as it will have diesel in it?

many thanks

paul

Back door is a good location and should not cause any problems, my dad had one on his S11 like that for 15-years and it never caused any issues.

Having said that, I would always store it inside the vehicle as it is less prone to theft or tampering when out of sight.

In addition, make sure you use the fuel from time to time as Derv does not like being left unused for long periods of time. I tend to use my 2.5L can every 12-months or so to make sure it is always in good condition.

Outside is the best location as i seem to recall if you store fuel inside the vehicle most insurance company's wont insure you.

We carry full fuel cans in lockers in the side of the 110.....these are sealed from the inside of the van but must display "stored flammable fuel" signs and carry a fire extinguisher.

Hiya,

before i purchase a jerry can holder could any one tell me if there are any laws restrciting the use of these? i am wanting to mount one on my back door in a lockable carrier, is this road legal as it will have diesel in it?

many thanks

paul

Never had a problem anywhere in europe apart from at the French customs in Calais. I have 4 jerry cans on the roof rack, and he said i should have stickers on them stating FLAMMABLE lIQUIDS, which i know have and never get stopped.

Apart from VOSA a couple of weeks ago were doing a check on vehicles, he checked my cans and questioned me about the "Green Diesel" explained it was from Bosnia or Slovenia, at which point he got very shirty and warned me about importing non duty paid diesel into the UK, it was only in one can. The Traffic Cop who was with him looked at me and shook his head in disgust, and made a very distinctive hand movement behind him :D

Keith