Td5 suspension

Jeff Darby

I have a 02 Td5. I parked it up last night only to find that this morning the rear passenger suspension was low. I started the engine and it raised ok. Is this normal? the rear left leaking? Also I thought the rear were linked is it a regular problem one side dropping? Or is I have only had it a week should I get it looked at under warranty?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

jeff

Common problem and as you say usually only one side goes down .

Most likely a leaking airbag on that side - your warranty should cover it .

Initially the deflation can occur randomly ( days apart )but tends to happen more often as time goes on .

Often when one starts leaking the other won't be far behind - unless one bag has been changed already .

that air suspension sounds great,but I can't beleive it was made so badly, there's nothing better in the world than driving on the cushion of air...but it leaks,and hoses are plactic and breakable( I think). and position of the pump is all wrong.. but there's dunlop replacement kit for 85£ on the ebay..

I have a 02 Td5. I parked it up last night only to find that this morning the rear passenger suspension was low. I started the engine and it raised ok. Is this normal? the rear left leaking? Also I thought the rear were linked is it a regular problem one side dropping? Or is I have only had it a week should I get it looked at under warranty?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

jeff

Hi,

New to this forum but can say I'm having & had the same difficulty.

If the car will stay all night in ORM then you haven't got a leak and your air springs are ok.

I've read that there could be a residual earth problem to the valve.

I fixed it once or so it seem by uncoupling the height sensor on the down side and just exercised it gently through it's full travel - I suppose making and braking the supply to the sensor might have done something.

Just don't spend big bucks yet.

beenthere

there is nothing wrong with air suspension on the D2, its a fantastic system that gives a lovely compliant comfy ride, self levelling for towing and stiffens up the more weight you hang off the back making it even better for towing!

Although mine has just needed the second rear bag replacing, it has done 130k miles. So you cant really complain at a major suspension component made of rubber lasting that long.

Also, if you order the bags from paddocks - they`re £65 and they are the dunlop bags. ------caveat--------- well the ones i got from paddocks were.

I have driven both and I actually prefer the ride on coils - the air suspension versions felt slightly more unsteady to me.

90% of flatness problems are leaky springs, they can sometimes only leak when the crack/hole is at exactly the point the spring folds back on itself, so just because it stays up sometimes doesn't rule out anything.