Buying from MOD sales.com AKA Withams

ChrisJones117

Has anyone ever bought anything from these guys ????, they seem to shift a lot of MOD surplus currently a large number of tyres up for offer:

Avon Rangemasters

Goodyear G90's

Michelin XZL's

Some are new most are part worn, are there any horror stories associated ???, they have several sale options - direct sales, auction or tender.

Opinions please as I'me looking to buy tyres from them starting price around £65 for Michelins

Right mate, I've bought a lot of stuff off them, direct sales and tender sales, but never through auction.

I would recommend PERSONALLY VIEWING EVERYTHING you buy off them. The tyres are all graded, either 3/4 worn or good as new.

Be aware there's VAT to pay on their prices, and they won't take credit cards, its cash, cleared cheque or debit card only.

I've got about 16 bids in the sale ending today, but as said above, view the lots personally, take a notebook and camera so you don't forget whats good and bad, and set your budget.

They are fair people to deal with and there's some fantastic bargains to be had at their sales. But never buy blind or you may be disappointed.

I personally think their Mich XZL's on wolf rim deals are brilliant value for money.

I've brought several things from them, but via auction and tender not via the direct sale, David there is a reasonable chap they will often ship via pallet for a fair price and put a few bits together. As with anything if you phone him up and have a chat or visit him they will hang onto things for a couple of weeks without charging you extra.

I have brought larger lots on occasion and then sold off the other ones and recovered more than my costs!! I Love free stuff, although the Mrs did not let me buy the tank that was on there the other week, she ruins all of my fun!!

As for the auction side of things I guess it's like e-bay, don't get carried away!!!!wink.gif like busses an Item will come around again, register and use their watch an item feature, see what stuff goes for and stick to that I see some stuff go for silly money when there is a bidding war! to see the exact same item go for 3 times less on ebay!!!

Right mate, I've bought a lot of stuff off them, direct sales and tender sales, but never through auction.

I would recommend PERSONALLY VIEWING EVERYTHING you buy off them. The tyres are all graded, either 3/4 worn or good as new.

Be aware there's VAT to pay on their prices, and they won't take credit cards, its cash, cleared cheque or debit card only.

I've got about 16 bids in the sale ending today, but as said above, view the lots personally, take a notebook and camera so you don't forget whats good and bad, and set your budget.

They are fair people to deal with and there's some fantastic bargains to be had at their sales. But never buy blind or you may be disappointed.

I personally think their Mich XZL's on wolf rim deals are brilliant value for money.

You dont happen to have an electronic copy of the tender that ended yesterday? They seem to take down the lot details one after the tender so you cant compare the tender results to what the lots actually were.

Thanks,

H

You dont happen to have an electronic copy of the tender that ended yesterday? They seem to take down the lot details one after the tender so you cant compare the tender results to what the lots actually were.

Thanks,

H

I do, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you, if you wait a couple of days they will post the previous tender results and you can see what this lot went for.

I bought my 90 from them through auction - I was bored at work one day and printed off the tender list, this was a few years ago and you had to send in a blind bid by post.

I didn't really want a Land Rover at the time, but thought what the hell, and sent in a silly bid - or what I thought was a silly bid for an ex mod 90...

A few days later I got a call from Withams thanking me very much for my winning bid, and could I please pay my thousand pounds and come and collect the car. When I asked if it would be ok to drive home, I was told I'd actually need a trailer, a couple of strong mates and some cardboard boxes to collect it :blink: When I got there bits of it were dangling from a fork lift, it had been on fire, it had no wheels doors or tailgate and lots of bits were in the back.

Don't rely on the descriptions in the tender list! ;)

Thanks,

H

I've only got the printed catalogue, I can post you it after the results are up?