disimilar metals and rivnuts

callum

been reading various charts, namely the galvanic series, but i'm still not really sure what fixings i should be using with what and i sem to be finding conflicting views.

So...aluminium (of what sort i don't know) rivnuts into brimabright seems sound, however should i be using bzp fixing into the rivnuts or stainless (304 i assume if its A2), again i don't really know . This is generally in situations that would be considered as fixing in panel situations.

also, bzp steel rivnuts. Seems like bzp fixing should be used there (the shole lot going into a steel panel), but can stainless be used also?

would appreciate some feedback from anyone who knows a bit about this or has tried it and witnessed results. i tink i can avoid rotting the panels, but i'd prefer not to have scabby looking bolts corroding away too. Both situations will no doubt see some exposure to water/road salt on occasion, but not too much. using them in under bonent applications and on the body.

I used 100's of the BZP ones on my 110 approx 2 years ago in all places from the wheel arch inner wings so I could use brass screws to hold the spats in place instead of those stupid plastic push in plug things, to the wing tops for chequer plate, and various places in the rear tub.

When I fitted them I dunked them in waxoyl and painted some either side of the hole before inserting and squeezing in the riv-nut. Any fastener used in the riv-nut also got coated in waxoyl.

So far and no issues, everytime I've gone to undo a screw it has worked okay and not ended up with a spinning riv-nut.

thanks for the link will.

i read from its specs that its a jointing compound, so presumably sets. i'm using the rivnuts in places where i will need to unbolt things in future, would the duralac cause an issue here?

I've used it on threads to good effect - a smear on the thread just like copperslip. It is also good if you apply a smear over the contact patch between dissimilar metals.

• 2 weeks later...