Non Chocolate Axles

webbsite

There seems to be many people who have problems with the original LR axles.

So, how about compiling a list of alternate axles, sizes, power handling capabilities etc that can be used on coil sprung LR's.

It needs to be split into two main groups, Portal and Straight, not everyone needs or wants Portals but a lot of people run high power V8's.

Not everyone can splash out on Spider 9's and not everyone is capable of welding on new brackets to get the pinion angles/castor setup correctly.

For instance would the simplest route be to use a set of Tomcat reinforced cases fitted with a full set of Ashcroft internals and ARB diffs?

Regards,

Roger.

After this, maybe we can have a table of the length of a piece of string :ph34r:

This is the problem - the cost of buying, converting, fitting, modifying etc. for each option can vary wildly based on many factors from the vargaries of eBay to the price of scrap metal to the skill & resources available to the person asking the question.

There really is no right answer or even a definitive guide, as it depends greatly on what you're trying to achieve - will you stick to a certain tyre size or are you going bigger in future, likewise engine output, etc. etc. etc.

As fridge says, there are so many variables - what fits, can be made to fit, can be uprated to be strong enough and so on - then there's what work you can do yourself or who you can get to do the work. However, in my reading and experience a can start with the following:

Straight axles:

Landcruiser 80 series - diff offsets and ratios are correct, can be found with factory lockers, need all new brackets.

Nissan GQ - front diff correct offset, rear centre diff, can be found with lockers, front fits with minimal changes, rear needs work on brackets.

Dana 44 - can be found with the correct diff offset, but I've no details on what's involved in fitting them

Dana 60 - as above

Portal axles:

Volvo C303 - correct diff off sets, all new brackets required, come with vacuum lockers

Unimog 404 - Front diff needs changing sides (I can do this if anybody wants ;):D ) all new brakets required, come with mechanical lockers

Simca SUMA - I don't know much about these, but I think they're the right off set and come with a rear locker

After this, maybe we can have a table of the length of a piece of string

:rofl:

LR axles in std form do many many owners well, and at the other end of the spectrum there Mog / Volvo / Spider etc

And lots in betweem, there is no best, that more a pub mates argument time, its all a matter of

various compromise on a number of things.

Theres loads thereforew on this forum

Nige