stainless steel manifold studs

jules

I have been having problems with my Td5 manifold studs shirring over time.

my manifold is warped so I need a new one or I'll have it skimmed, I tried a quick fix but snapped a newly fitted stud rebuilding it all so I could still drive the Disco in the mean time.

I had the same problem fixed by a local garage two years ago so if I repair it now it will only give out again. I was chatting to a mate that has a similar problem but not quite so advanced as mine he was saying that the racing Td5's have bigger stainless studs fitted. I can drill out and helicoil the old studs for larger ones but its getting the right ones as my knowledge of stainless steel grades is limited.

Or simply fitted larger M10 steel studs.

does anyone have any experience of these mod

if you speak to JE engineering they will supply you with the studs you requires along with the washers which allow slight movement on the manifold

cool thanks I know some people at JE

I have herd about a ceramic coated manifold from TD5 alive but I cant see anything on the website

(Disclaimer - I know f-all about Td5s)

If it's shearing studs then there's a sideways movement between manifold and head. Bigger studs will just pass this stress elsewhere, which might mask the problem rather than solve it. Either remove the webs to reduce the thermal expansion, or make the bolted joint more tolerant by giving it more room and less clamping force so it can move.