Tow bar Q

sweety

I've just bought a tow ball/pin for my D2 to use as a rear recovery point only to find it doesn't fit & the reason I now know is that what I thought was the tow bar is in fact just the top mounting for a adjustable tow bar :( I was wondering if a tow bar off a D1 will fit onto a D2 as my local breakers has a few in at the min. The other option I can think of is to work with what i've got & wondered if widening the holes so that the tow ball bolts fit through the bracket with a 10mm plate on the other side would be ok & poss try & make something up to connect to the chassis as I have some 6mm checker plate.

Great-full for any help as i've just had a huge bill for the D2 & am skint & will be for awhile now :(

I thought it was now an MOT fail if the vehicle was post about '97, but http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_660.htm doesn't seem to mention anything specific about type approved towbars.

The test manual does say that whatever is fitted, even if there is no ball or pin attached, should still be adequate and appropriately constructed. I would think that this is the basis the plod would use at the side of the road, as if they're not satisfied, they can request an MOT retest be taken and invalidate your current one.

Looking at the D2 down the road from me, and comparing to my D1 I can't see any obvious difference, but I can't exactly have a proper look, as it's not mine to take apart...