I think the disco is had its final nails in its coffin today

Aragorn

I decided this morning to tidy up/paint the footwells in the disco having removed the carpet foam a few weeks ago due to it being soaking from a leaky sunroof, few mins later i have a nice 1" x 6" hole in the corner of the drivers footwell/a pillar. It looked patchable, but i thaught i'd take the opportinuty to have a good look over the rest of the bodyshell.

Bootfloor is gubbed, both along the rear next to the door, and along both sides, and also underneath the rear seats.

Bit more searching finds dubious areas in the engine bay around the bulkhead, under the headlights, and also the front and rear bodymounts are looking crusty.

I then thaught i'd get my new compression tester out and see what it shows:

1 - 150psi

2 - 140psi (150)

3 - 150psi

4 - 125psi (145)

5 - 150psi

6 - 140psi (140)

7 - 155psi

8 - 135psi (150)

LH bank looks fine, but RH bank seems a a bit fubar, figures in brackets are from retesting with a squirt of oil down the plug hole, so it looks like bottom end is the issue too, not just some leaky valves or similar :(

Time to give up and break it for parts methinks.

Nah, the motors already needing a new cam and timing chains, its also on carbs, and i be wanting to do an EFI conversion. I wanted to check the compression to see if it was worth spending the money on that motor. Give me wiring harnesses, ECU's, Engine components etc all day long, but laying underneath a car welding rusty metal i just cant be bothered with.

Its also robbing time (and money) from me gettin on with the 90, and thats been neglected far too much this year.

Had it been one little patch on the boot floor or the footwell, then fine, but the sills are already a patchwork quilt, entire boot floor and stiffeners needs replaced etc. I'd rather stick all the money i'd spend in a pot and buy a P38 or something non-rusty!

Agree with Nige, change the head gasket (oil can sometimes help raising compression with a knackered gasket), get a MIG if you don't have one and learn to weld (if you don't know how!)

Bit far to next Christmas, any birthday looming? :)

Ye its repairable, but i dont really want (or have the time/enthusiasm for) another project.

I baught it to do some cheap offroading, on the premise that it only needed a few bits n bobs and was otherwise sound, and currently as it stands it needs at least £200 spent on the engine to fix the cam and timing chain (more likely end up something like 5-600quid by the time its on megasquirt and the rings have been replaced etc). All of thats on top of what i've already spent putting it thru its last MOT (it needed bushes, clutch cylinders, water pump, and some sill welding)

The boot floor panel and the replacement stiffeners are about £100, then theres mig wire and gas on top, and thats not counting fixing any of the body mounts or the welding around the front end.

Stuff always ends up costing more than you predict, and my quick calcs are already up around 7-800quid, and i just cant justify that much expense on it. I'd rather drop the 800quid on the 90 or some other landrover thats not rusty and knackered!

:(

For cheap offroading does it really need to go like stink? Not sure how bad the '8 is running but is it so bad it cant do a few mud runs?

And if you want to keep it cheap do you really need the EFi and Megasquirt?

Just go Megajolt if you want a waterproof ignition system. Significantly cheaper, and if you do decide later to go full MS, you already have the trigger wheel, EDIS setup etc...

Or spend the money on a series :) Much less potential for welding than a Disco and before the Jap invasion they pretty much ruled the world for offroad capability :rolleyes:

I do understand if it is a matter of having the time though- it seems like there are never enough hours in the day to get all the normal stuff done, let alone any landrovering! :(

Doesnt need to go like stink, but the fuel consumption is suffering badly!

The missus was using it during the snow, and its eaten about 15-20quids worth of fuel in about 20 miles. Some more tweaking of the carbs might improve that a little, but its never going to be good.

The worn block, knackered cam and most likely the timing chain, and the snotty carbs all add up and not only kill the perforamcne but the efficiency too.

Tax is up this month too.

Once i'm back from visiting parents in the new year i'll get it all listed on here/ebay etc