Looking at L322 Range Rovers....

Fatboy

Hi all,

Christmas holiday and a bit of surfing has found me looking at second hand L322's - Seems to be some good examples going for reasonable money....

I've read through the excellent Range Rovers.net guide which highlights the modifications to check for on the front diff.

I'd be looking at one that has got a full service history and no current faults. (Working screens, air suspension etc) but I can't afford one that is still covered under warranty... :unsure:

Can anyone provide any other pointers?

I've read about leaks causing wiring loom and wiper issues - would these leaks also show up by causing wet carpets or are they more subtle?

How about engines - anything to avoid or are they all okay? (I'll be towing occasionally)

Any advice gratefully accepted. :) (Even if it was "No Warranty = don't do it, walk away")

I was looking into getting one of these aswell my freind has a very nice 06 plate and says he wouldn't touch one without warranty and now his warranty has run out he's selling up and getting a rs6

I settled for a p38 in the end and spent more money on my bobtail lol

I was looking into getting one of these aswell my freind has a very nice 06 plate and says he wouldn't touch one without warranty and now his warranty has run out he's selling up and getting a rs6

I settled for a p38 in the end and spent more money on my bobtail lol

Same here. We have decided to sell my 110 300tdi (in the pic) and get a L322 RR. My brother in Law had the V8 petrol and loved it so we are going for the same. Only issue he had was a new radiator and the recall for the front drive (I think that was it - need to research it)He was covering a 1000 miles a week and was putting in £££ to run it so it went on consumption alone :( The mileage we do makes the diesel option somewhat irrelivent and I've never had a V8 ;) and fancy some grunt.

So, I'm in the market now. Thinking of popping up to Brightwells auction in the next couple of weeks to see what they have - looking at past auctions the price range seems to be between 12k-14k for what I want.

Cheers

Gavin

I've had a TD6 Vogue for just over a year now and it's been ultra reliable over 30,000 miles.

Recently I've considered going to a TDV8 but have been put off by higher fuel consumption, (dealers and owners I've spoken to say it uses more, even though LR claim the same)higher service costs and higher road tax costs.

As long as my TD6 is running OK, I figure why upgrade?

Depreciation is now lower and 8k per year should easily more than cover repiars, which is what you'll lose on a newer one doing the miles I do.

If you are getting a TD6 I'd reccomend a facelifted one (happened on 05 plate) as they fixed a lot of the faults then. Such as the front diff issue. As the engine and box are from an BMW X5 but with a higher weight they are not road racers, but they are incredibly comfortable and (I've found) quite reliable. I average 30 mpg, which personally I think is great in a three litre automatic luxury 4x4.

I may be biased, having a good TD6, but I don't need the speed of a TDV8 or the extra running costs one brings...

No, mine is not under warentee anymore.

I get the impression on Rangerovers.net that any L322 that has a Land Rover Service history, should have had the front propshaft and diff sorted FoC.

One of my mates has a TDV8 and its fairly nippy, but I had a blast in a new TD6 Disco while the TDV8 was in for a service and there was not much of a difference.

injector failures coman poor stating when cold glow plugs and the glow relay fail as well.

low pressure pumps and high pressure pumps too

suspension leaks rear springs

front suspension arm ball joints very coman

rear suspension ball joints and hub carrier bushs very coman

uneven tyre wear

eats brakes

electronicaly steering colum failure new colum

ecu glitchs on the latter models they can be downloaded to fix

heater fan resisters failure very coman

engine faults turbo failure

auto gear box failure

heavy breathing engine breather failure

Oh... Good information - Thanks. So, the TD6 isn't faultless then.

I was looking at a 4.4 V8 which had a new engine at 80k miles. As this is the BMW V8, are there any common issues with that or is that rare? (Owner could not tell me what the issues were with the old engine).

oil leak form oil filter housing

over heating blown rads,blown header tanks.

colapsed breather hoses causing poor running overheating head gasket issues.

You forgot to mention the massive oil consumption,resulting in loads of engines being replaced under warranty,God help any buyers of cars whose original owners didnt push the issue when the cars were in warranty cover.Hate to think what that would cost now.Plus the clever water cooled alternator.....

Hi i've had my 54 plate 05 model from nearly new (was a demo with 3k miles) its now done 44k only problems so far front diff failed at 30k covered by warranty low pressure pump 33k apart from these bits its a fantastic all rounder....its also for sale (i want a supercharged one) so if you want a look let me know.

I know that they have problems with the rads on cracking on the V8s & front diffs on early models. As for the engine, the 4.4 V8 is a good engine. I have one in my BMW 740i with 165k, full history & still going strong. One of the most reliable cars I have owned & the L322 use lots of the same parts as the 7 series.

A good friend of mine has been a tech at Guy Salmon Land Rover for many years now so I get to know whats good & bad, the one bit of advise he always gave me was never to buy a P38 everytime I looked at one, the L322 are ok as long as they have full history & have been looked after.