Gearbox Rebuild in S Wales

I need the LT77S out of my defender 90 200tdi rebuilt. It has the the usual output shaft wear and as such needs a new shaft. Can someone recommend someone to do it in the S Wales area , I`ll change the input gear on the lt230 myself after seeing these changed in work years ago. I`ve read the workshop manual but I don`t feel confident to attempt it myself...

I`ve found a defender R380 gearbox complete for sale. How much work would it be for say a local company to convert it to short shaft ???

I'm assuming here that you intend using one of the conversion kits offered by Keith Gott or Ashcrofts, in which case, if, who ever does it for you, has the special tools required and they know what they are doing, then 2 to 3 hours to change the shaft.

Jon.

haveing done a fair bit of gearbox work i will say this, the lt77 and the r380 do need a couple of special tools to get gears and bearing of so i would go to ashcrofts for all my landy box work. first class and allways on the the the phone not a flyby night company first class.

ANother vote for Ashcrofts. I'm local to them so its easy, but a courier should be possible to get your box to them. Personally if i were in a position to change my LT77s now (and had the money) i'd go for the short shaft R380 they sell - although i'm perfectly happy with the re-con LT77s i have from them.

Need to get this sorted as it is now holding up my 90 rebuild. I was looking for a local company as it would save me on the ridiculous carriage charges for sending my lt77s to them and receiving one back. I used to work for an ex BL fitter and he was amazing at these boxes , he rebuilt my disco boxes for me and they were still going strong 70k and five hard years later. Unfortunately he`s no longer around so it looks like ashcroft then,,,

p.s. I`m not saying that ashcrofts charges are bad ,, just the cost of shifting a gearbox around in general