Stove and gas for expedition cooking

popotla

For camp cooking up to now, we’ve been using a small one-burner stove that runs on 16 cm x 6.5 cm-diameter cylinders of what we call “Korea gas’ since it’s ubiquitous in Korea (and also found in Mongolia (Korean cylinders refilled) and Iran, but by no means everywhere.

For the overland trip we’re embarking on, however, we’d like to carry a gas supply which can be more easily replaced (i.e. sold “everywhere”) and are thinking of those largish butane (?) cylinders and a two-burner stove.

No gas cylinder can be carried on a ship or ferry, I think, but what is usually used and what can be recommended as a reliable and easily replaceable stove and gas supply set-up? We expect to be in Arabia, Turkey, Europe and the Americas.

Gas setups are a bit awkward as there is no standardised fitting, each country generally has their own fitting and will only swap or refill their own cylinders, the even more awkward thing is that in most countries you need a residential address to get a new cylinder.

i don't know about turkey/arabia but in Europe the Campingaz cylinders are the only ones with good and pretty universal availability, though they are a bit more costly.

you can normally find empty gas bottles from each country at markets and such so you can swap those for a full one.

As far as i know gas canisters can be carried in ferrys but must be turned off with nothing connected and must have a Compressed Gas warning sign. Caravans and motorhomes have them all the time.

a good UK company to keep in mind is Gaslow, they do different adapters and fittings for gas bottles.

Another idea is to use a petrol stove - coleman make very good single and twin burner ones available here in the uk, I would imagine these would also be available elsewhere.

Petrol is somewhat more easily available in most places, and relies on you having a can rather than a plethora of different fittings.

It is not quite so convenient to use, but once you are used to it, there is no problem.

hth

Mark

For most cooking while we're on a trip I use a fire and firewood. I bought a fire box on our last trip. I can use either wood or charcoal, wood being preferred as it gives a hotter fire.

For our first trip we bought a multi-fuel stove. I didn't like it. It wouldn't boil water in a kettle if there was a wind or it was cold.

Now we've gone back to a Trangia. I've a gas conversion for it. If gas isn't available, which does happen, then I revert to the meths burner.

As the Defender is wired for mains...Margaret went all posh and bought an electric kettle to make the tea/ coffee. Well really that's all we use the stove for.

Another idea is to use a petrol stove - coleman make very good single and twin burner ones available here in the uk, I would imagine these would also be available elsewhere.

Petrol is somewhat more easily available in most places, and relies on you having a can rather than a plethora of different fittings.

It is not quite so convenient to use, but once you are used to it, there is no problem.

hth

Mark

The Coleman petrol Stoves get my vote too. Quite compact and as they run on unleaded there is no hunting around for the correct size replacement cylinder.

I have just bought a new single burner "Sportster" model as the original (bought 15 years ago) has finally packed in.

Most commonly available fuels in the world are petrol and diesel.

Coleman petrol stoves are good. If you have a diesel vehicle and only want to carry one type of fuel et a multi fuel MSR stove.

Don't use plastic fuel jerry cans. They can crack if dropped, also can leak fumes if they implode due to altitude change etc,

HTH

Brendan

I have a few gas stoves, twin and single and a twin burner Coleman petrol stove, I have used a single stove for years and love to use firewood (makes for a homely feel) but a twin burner is so much better, and the Coleman stoves's heat is so much hotter than a gas stove, but still carry a single gas stove with a spare canister for emergencies, just carry two, its not that much extra weight or space , for peace of mind and hot meal somewhere remote.

Brian