Driving to Lapland

Bluemoon

my partner has set her heart on going to Lapland( Rovaniemi, Finland) next Xmas, some 2000 mile journey, flying is out the question, just wondering if anyone has driven the E4 on the east coast of Sweden to top end of Finland, and what kind of mileage per day would be achievable . I would be travelling with a fully loaded 110 and trailer on tow, has anyone got any first hand experience. thanks for your comments

cheers Brian

my partner has set her heart on going to Lapland( Rovaniemi, Finland) next Xmas, some 2000 mile journey, flying is out the question, just wondering if anyone has driven the E4 on the east coast of Sweden to top end of Finland, and what kind of mileage per day would be achievable . I would be travelling with a fully loaded 110 and trailer on tow, has anyone got any first hand experience. thanks for your comments

cheers Brian

I've only been to Lapland myself during summer, so cannot give you any 1. hand information on the winter conditions.

However try posting to the Swedish Land Rover Club forum:

SLRK website: http://www.slrk.org

SLRK forum: http://slrk.phpbb2.se/forum/

Winter/ snow tyres, not just tyres marked M+S :rolleyes:

Good battery

Webasto/ Eberspacher

Cold weather oils

Prepare for average temps of -20, expect down to -30 or even colder.

Basics always to be in vehicle

Snow spade

Sleeping bags

Food

Full thermos with hot drink

Recovery kit

Possibly snow chains.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We did the trip Varberg - Jokkmokk and back in our SIII 88" "Hakuna Matata", although during the summer. We did the trip up with 3 stops, and the down in 4 stops.

The E4 is a very beautiful trip with great view and lots of interesting stops, make sure you have time to stop and see things.

we have just this Xmas, done a trip, Jutland, Denmark to Norrköping during snow storms and -20 C in 7 hours in our old

VW golf on normal wintertires - studs would have been great but not a must.

The Things Q-rover mentions are a must in winter time.

Remember diesel is more expensive up north due to more additives and anti-fresh is added.