Im a tad bothered about series 2a

twizzle

im just a bit bothered about keeping the original number plates as ive only changed the engine and gearbox an add power steering everything is the same as when it came off the line

Somebody put this from THE SERIES 2 CLUB FORUM

...........................................................................................

Re: My 109 "OLD KATIE"

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 06:41:21 pm »

HI, looks like your going great guns. Hope you don't think this negative, just something that I've never been clear on, but with the chassis alterations and change in the drive train will this need a "Q" plate once the work is done?

cheers

...........................................................................................

is it just me worrying

i worked out from the point's im aloud to have 10 to keep my reg

TWIZZLE

According to what I have read, mostly here, it must be said, if you have modified the chassis you need to look at SVA. Others say that you only need bother if you have adjusted the chassis length.

Why not ask the authorities? DVLA perhaps, rather than a group of opinionated amateurs? A letter from the DVLA confirming all was OK would look better in court than my word, God forbid it ever come to that.

Chris

^ I would agree with the above individual.

According to what I have read, mostly here, it must be said, if you have modified the chassis you need to look at SVA.

And that can be interpreted in so many ways. Does just patching a chassis class as modifying a chassis? Or replacing or fitting an outrigger?

I would hope it would be sensible that it's when the chassis length or chassis suspension design is altered that it counts.

I hate to be negative, but:

It can be argued that patching or replacing sections is retaining the original design and hence is not a modification of the chassis.

Having seen what I assume is the modification you are referring to on your other post, I would tend to think the other way in that (in my HUMBLE opinion) what you have done is to significantly change the cross-member away from the original design - which to me is a modification.

Sorry! I hope I am wrong, but the only way to be sure is to check with the relevant authority.

Roger.

There does seem to be some belief on this forum that the moment you mod a chassis, you need an IVA. However, the rules are very grey on this.

Best thing you can do is write to the DVLA and ask them. Send some photos of your modifications and a detailed description. I'd very much expect a letter back saying all is well. You would at least then have cast iron proof that all is above board and legal. However, as FF says, it may depend on who you ask.

Personally, I've got a S3 with modified engine mounts, and when I get round to it, an LT77 box. I'm not going to tell the DVLA, as I don't believe I need to. They have, of course, been informed of the new engine number and size.