Having problems with reverse....LT77?

Recently been having problems finding reverse on my LT77 box on my V8.

Seems you have to try and get the lever really far over to find reverse and you normally just get first. Once you do get it into reverse then its hard to not put it in reverse if you know what i mean.

Am I looking at a new box or?

THanks in Advance

James.

Theres a plunger on the gate to stop you selecting reverse by accident. I beleive there are two types - one serviceable, the other not. Take the covers off the top of the box and you should find it - sounds like it needs servicing or replacing.

Its ok I had a look at the manual.

THe bit on the right hand side.

Its a 200Tdi Selector housing on the box.

gear.jpg

THe thing I have noticed is that once you have got it into reverse if you take it out and try to go to first it stays in reverse. So you need to slot it into 4th almost to get it back so you can engage first.

Ok, False alarm.

I went out and had a play trying the gears and ended up getting stuck in reverse with a rattling sound coming from the gearbox.

Thought to myself " this is either going to be very simple or very expensive".

Whipped the housing off and yes, the grub screw that holds the cup bit on that you can see in the photo ha docme loose. Tightened it all up and it work again.:D Phewww.

• 5 years later...

So how does the plunger on the right stop you from going into reverse, when reverse is to the left?

because the actual selector part of gear lever moves in the opposite direction to where you move the top section. the bit that selects the gear is below the ball of the gear lever.

the plunger is spring loaded so you have to overcome the spring pressure to select reverse, stops reverse being accidently being selected as the lever moves between the 5 forward gears.