Wading connections

Hi, I have just ordered some tubing to replace the broken rear axle breather. I intend to replace the tube to both axles. I understand there are some more points which can be picked up and raised to the snorkel. Can anybody let me know where the points are and what will be required to fit. Really want to make my 90 as waterproof as possible. Thanks Shane

on a 90/110/Defender in addition to both axles there are breathers on the main & transfer gearboxes.

you can add to a non Td5 engines a timing case breather & the clutch bell housing. if you do these the wading plugs will need to be almost permanenly fitted, but remove these occasionally to check for oil leakage from various seals.

Hi, as western says, gearbox and tran/box I bought a kit which included all the pipe,6 threaded breather fittings 4 T pieces and some cable ties.

The reason I bought the kit was because I found oil seeping past my wheel bearings and this was caused by an axle breather being blocked and a pressure

being built up. When I unscrewed the original breather, the fitting had a tiny bore and this was well blocked, the new fittings on the other hand have a bore of about 5mm.and are less likely to get bunged up.

you can fit breathers on the bellhousing drain and the timing cover drain but as these have to be "drained" periodically it's best to leave these open (unles when going wading and then you should fit the wading plugs) BTW I ran these pipes through the engine dept. and drilled a hole through the bulkhead into the cab (fitted a grommet and sealed hole when finished) the hoses terminate in the dash, tie-wrapped together. (I figure if water is up to the radio inside, then I'm in the sh*t anyway.)

Hi

If you do a search using the button above you'll find this has been covered in lots of detail before and theres lots of info to help you DIY, there are kits available but most seem to be vastly overpriced when you price up the fittings and tube yourself

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

Thanks for your replies, looks like I need to get some more push fit adapters. I have got some wading plugs for the bell housing and timing covers so won't be connecting these with breathers. Thanks again

Hello again, Just read another thread on breather connections. It was suggesting if you fit a wading plug to the timing cover then you should also fit a breather. This is achieved by drilling and taping for an adapter further up. The idea behind it is, if the engine is dipped into cold water the breather will prevent water being sucked in through the dust seals. Is this a good idea or a little overkill?

Is this a good idea or a little overkill?

Yep and nope. The easiest place to drill the hole is in the small round cover front of the injection pump pulley. It's a thin section, so you need to add a nut on the inside.