Calling Western...

Hi Ralph,

I am looking for a bit of advice from you.

You have a 200 Tdi coupled to an R380.

I am in the process of changing the bulkhead on my 200 to a TD5 Style Bulkhead. I have come up against a problem. The Bulkhead does not fit over the LT77 without chopping it.

As I see it I have 3 options ..

1. Chop the bulkhead

2. Fit a TD5 :D

3. Couple an R380 to the 200

So......

I am examining the options for 1&2, but what about 3?? What is involved in changing from an LT77 to an R380 and couple it to a 200?

Thanks

Greg

So......

I am examining the options for 1&2, but what about 3?? What is involved in changing from an LT77 to an R380 and couple it to a 200?

Thanks

sorry for the delay, been out on a rally all weekend, with no internet access.

IIRC my bulkhead hasn't been modified in any way, at least I've no record/invioce showing any gearbox tunnel bits.

to mate a 200Tdi to a R380 use the 11cm long 'stumpy' bell housing, IIRC this is the existing LT77 part, LR part number is FRC9865 for gearbox serial number 50A [r380 serial number NOT lt77 my lt77 was 56A] this leaves the gearbox in the original location & locates the engine as per a genuine Defender 200Tdi factory built vehicle.

hth :D

Edited by western

sorry for the delay, been out on a rally all weekend, with no internet access.

IIRC my bulkhead hasn't been modified in any way, at least I've no record/invioce showing any gearbox tunnel bits.

to mate a 200Tdi to a R380 use the 11cm long 'stumpy' bell housing, IIRC this is the existing LT77 part, LR part number is FRC9865 for gearbox serial number 50A [r380 serial number NOT lt77 my lt77 was 56A] this leaves the gearbox in the original location & locates the engine as per a genuine Defender 200Tdi factory built vehicle.

hth :D

Thanks Ralph.

Decided just to chop the new bulkhead, and to be honest it was a fairly easy job, and when it sits beside the old you would hardly know it had been chopped.

Cheers

Greg

Guest diesel_jim

I always thought it was just the "diaphram" bit that screws betwen the bulkhead and around the transmission tunnel that was the deciding factor as to what engine/gearbox combo was used? didn't realise that the metalwork on the bulkheads was different.

DJ, I think the diaphragm bit was what MG meant, so far as I know the bulkhead are virtually the same for all.

Vitually the same, yes. An exact fit ... no!

The transmission tunnel on the TD5 is different to the 200Tdi, I had to cut away a section around the tunnel.

To be honest it was not too bad a job, as a rule I dont like drilling/cutting/grinding the body work on my baby... even less kean when it is a brand new bulkhead :)