Can you gas a 300tdi?

Jamest535

You can gas a diesel, but it is used as an additive for performance rather than as an alternate fuel. ie you run on Diesel and Gas, rather than just gas. What are you plannig to achive?

Thanks

Mark

theres a place near southampton that does it... and i think twisted performance might know something about it... that idiot of the telly Jerry Thurston just had it done to his Discovery... there was a write up in LRO a couple of months back.

basically the system just adds a little propane to the intake as it goes into the piston, its a tried and tested system, lots of HGV's use it in the States, and the hillbillys have been doing it to their monster 4x4's for years ;)

do a google search for powershot.

i don't think it'll do you a great deal of favours with fuel economy.. but supposed to give you up to 30% more power, so i guess if you drive like an old lady..... ;)

nitrous injection interests me... it works realy well on diesels.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

How can giving a diesel a shot of gas help with fuel bills?I think long term it would cost you.

But what I think you are after is running on gas which I think can be done at a cost, then you would cut fuel bills.

I spoke to Andy about one shot at the 3peaks last year, it is just just a boost of power over a few seconds? sound very good though.

Peter

for cheaper fuel bills wait till the fuel light is on

drive to tescos

buy 13 or 14 3ltr bottle of veg oil

pour in tank

fill to brim with pump diesel

enjoy saving about £20 a tank for slightly more smoke

oh & carry a spare fuel filter as after about 600-800miles you'll find it clogs as the thicker fuel drags all the crud out the pipes.

oh 'forget' to inform customs & ripoff so you dont pay the extra tax or it costs almost as much as 'real' fuel.

ive been running 60-70% chipfat for a year now with no problems. well if its colder than about 5c it sulks a bit so reduce the percentage of fat. used fat is better as its thinner but you need room to store & filter it, i live in a studio flat so cant play that game.

by the way, my tdi is also tweaked up to 18psi boost, tweaked pump & full width intercooler so dont believe it when your told not to run it on tweaked engines.

ive run 40% chipfat at temps of about 0c, it does start to chug a bit so its not a good idea. didnt mean to be running that much tbh, but miscalculated the space in the tank.

ive run 70% in the last few weeks but found over 65% starts to restrict the revs slightly. tbh it wasnt a problem as it still reved to about 3.5k without problems.

the thing with the fuel filter should only be once, its just the thicker oil drags the carp out of the pipes. after that just change the filter every 6k instead of 12k.

i intend to visit the local cash n carry & try for a trade card. should be even cheaper to run on then.

i reckon its worth it just for the strange looks you get at tescos pouring it in the tank.

also if your a greenie veg oil is carbon netural as far as the greenhouse effect goes. the cardon dioxide it releases was only removed from the carbon cycle a few months before as the plant grew, unlike fossil fuels that have trapped the carbon for millions of years. always good to tell those muppets who like to tell me im ruining the enviroment, it seems to calm them more than the comment - i only ruin the enviroment when my tyres are digging it up!

not all vehicles can do it sucessfully. as not all fuel pumps are up to the job, as far as i'm aware the fuel pump in the Landrover Tdi is mega strong and can pump almost anything, whereas the pump in the 2.5TD is made of bone china and doesn't even like diesel on a cold day...

as for the mistsu, maybe their fuel pumps aren't realy up to it.

if people go silly and run on too rich a mix, then they will have probs, as Andy said, he's found his limits, and i think i'm happy with mine.

i did 30,000 miles in the last 2.5 years in my 110, most of the time with 20% Veg oil in the tank, its emissions tests were significantly lower than before i started doing it, and if you keep it 'lean' the exhaust don't smell too much.

there is a lot of Bo**ocks talked about Vege oil, and a lot of idiots out there who go too mad and will damage their vehicles as a result.

check your engine oil regularly, if it starts to go 'sticky' you've got oil contamination, as a tiny amount of fuel can leak past the rings and into the sump, diesel thins your engine oil, whilst vege oil thickens it and makes it sticky.

it might be worth reducing your oil change intervals as a precaution... i do mine every 4k, my old 110 had done over 170k with no fueling probs what so ever, never changed an injector, and never lifted the head.

cheers

m@tt

oh, and i'd be a bit warry about slugging it into the tank in Tesco's car park... the jobsworths that customs and excercise employ... "never sleep, dont feel pain or remorse, and they absolutely will not stop until you are dead....."

name that movie quote........

Here's a link for you with some info on it ;) :

Chiltern Cars

Nice link,

have just been on the blower to them and unfortunately they don’t do

that system currently as they are waiting for new system due out (by their estimate)

in August this should give a 30% fuel saving with a 20 to 40% power increase

old system gave 20 to 25% and installation cost around £1200

Installation has a 5-week waiting time

They did say they could still get the old system but that it would be better to wait.

Hope this info helps any wouldbe gasers :blink:

Lawrence

• 2 weeks later...