Disco 1 welding needed :-(

sxileander

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had the misfortune to have to have welding done just inside the rear door at the top of the arch? I have a hole big enough to poke a pen through and this means that it has failed its MOT.

I can see that there does need to be welding, but cannot see how much has to be done - is it a case of welding in a small patch, is there an inner wing that can be replaced or does it really need assessing on a case-by-case basis?

I understand that I will have to get a welder to look at it and quote anyway, its just that being a Saturday afternoon, this isn't going to happen for a few days and I would like to draw on your experience as to how big a job this is.

It also failed on a tyre (no prob), a windscreen wiper (no prob) and ABS light on (I think that this is a faulty wheel sensor so no real problem).

It's a 97 V8 BTW.

Cheers

any rot will need to be cut out and a patch seam welded in it's place, best to do on a case by case basis as none will have exactly the same rot as another, if you do it yourself then cut back to good metal, cut a patch a bit bigger than the hole and weld it inside the arch and in the door shut so it is double welded and nice and strong. then paint it to protect it from rusting.

it's a common place on 5 door models, i need to do both sides on mine along with the rear body crossmember and a bit of chassis work all in the next 3 weeks :(

The welding is a half hour job,

I usually clean the rust up and get back to decent metal, then holding a plate underneath seam weld from the top grind flat and fill, a coat of seam sealer/underseal from underneath and the job is done,

for the abs light check the wheelbearings.

I take it you don't have access to welding equipment/ability yourself, but you can reduce the cost a bit by carrying out most of the prep work yourself - like stripping out interior trim etc. if its easy to get to then it may not be worth it as the welder/garage carrying out the work will still have to charge a minimum amount to make it worth their while negating any saving. However if you do strip it yourself at least you will know the full extent of the problem - I've had many a car where a small hole turned into a repair the Titanic could have used.

• 4 weeks later...

I take it you don't have access to welding equipment/ability yourself, but you can reduce the cost a bit by carrying out most of the prep work yourself - like stripping out interior trim etc. if its easy to get to then it may not be worth it as the welder/garage carrying out the work will still have to charge a minimum amount to make it worth their while negating any saving. However if you do strip it yourself at least you will know the full extent of the problem - I've had many a car where a small hole turned into a repair the Titanic could have used.

:lol: Disco's should be sold with "an owners welder" - maybe in its own little area like the bottle jacks....ive got mine attached to my key ring - it goes where my disco goes... :D

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had the misfortune to have to have welding done just inside the rear door at the top of the arch? I have a hole big enough to poke a pen through and this means that it has failed its MOT.

I can see that there does need to be welding, but cannot see how much has to be done - is it a case of welding in a small patch, is there an inner wing that can be replaced or does it really need assessing on a case-by-case basis?

I understand that I will have to get a welder to look at it and quote anyway, its just that being a Saturday afternoon, this isn't going to happen for a few days and I would like to draw on your experience as to how big a job this is.

It also failed on a tyre (no prob), a windscreen wiper (no prob) and ABS light on (I think that this is a faulty wheel sensor so no real problem).

It's a 97 V8 BTW.

Cheers

Done loads of these, Where are you based ?

John