Clutch slipping with new gearbox

I have installed a short bellhousing R380 bought from you know who. Today it was time for the first test drive, but that was short... The clutch is slipping all the time. I checked to see if something was wrong with the clutch slave, but a short drive without it didn't change anything.

So the only alternative was to remove all the shrouds, floor etc. and slide the boxes a bit back. What I think I've found is that the release bearing simply doesn't have the room needed to slide back enough to leave the clutch fingers.

Has anyone experienced this before? And have fixed it? I think I can shave off a few mm on the bearin end without problems...

An yes, I have e-mailed the supplier, but won't get a reply until tomorrow. I had hoped to have everything ready for some snow driving on Saturday...

There is a play at the master. And I also tested by driving with the slave hanging loose on the side, didn't make any change.

Edited just to say that Dave is a top bloke, got a reply to my e-mail this evening. ;) The simple answer seems to be that this box needs a shorter bearing...

According to Dave there should have been a box containing this and some other parts. Obviously, someone along the way had a better use for it than me. :angry:

If Land Rover had a proper dealer net here, I could go and buy one. But the nearest dealers are 200 kms away, so I will have to see if I can shorten the one I have.

What I need to know is the total length of the UJ100210 and how far from the "face" the fork pad sits. I'm sure Dave can answer that and there will be nothing done until tomorrow anyway...

But the nearest dealers are 200 kms away, so I will have to see if I can shorten the one I have.

Better to hold off surely and wait till Dave can send you the right one? I wouldnt fancy dropping the box again when the correct one arrives! I know you want ot go out and play, but a bit of patience.

Update :) : Well, for eventual future reference, I shortened the rear sleeve of my existing release bearing by 6-7 mm and that was more or less what was needed to make it fit. I also moved the slave cylinder out from the bellhousing with a couple of M8 nuts acting as spacers. There will be a proper spacer made later...

So now everything works and has been tested, both on road as well as in deep snow. ;)

I also must add that a R380 is a true revolution compared to the LT77. Its different gearing of all gears (except 4th obviously) seems to suit the engine's characteristics much better and made my 110 lots nicer to drive. Better acceleration through the gears as well as a higher gearing in 5th to lessen the noise a little. Well spent 945 quid...

Update :) I also moved the slave cylinder out from the bellhousing with a couple of M8 nuts acting as spacers. There will be a proper spacer made later...

I also must add that a R380 is a true revolution compared to the LT77. Its different gearing of all gears (except 4th obviously) seems to suit the engine's characteristics much better and made my 110 lots nicer to drive. Better acceleration through the gears as well as a higher gearing in 5th to lessen the noise a little. Well spent 945 quid...

You could shorten the pushrod and forget the spacer for the slave cylinder couldnt you?

Glad its so nice. I wish these had been available when i cahnged my LT77 for an Ashcrofts recon. The LT77 is fine, but yours sounds better!

Yes, shortening the pushrod would probably be more "proper". But getting the anglegrinder in where it's situated behind the exhaust pipe... When lying on my back looking up that is. :) A spacer is waay easier and does the same thing.