Changing the bearing in the stub axle

Orgasmic Farmer

Am rebuilding a front axle and one side was a bet watery and the needle bearing race in the stub axle looked a bit corroded so I want to replace it to be sure its OK. I have the part but Haynes book of lies helpfully says i should entrust the job to me Land Rover dealership! So what difficulties should I be aware of and are there any helpful hints out there to make the job go smoothly.

Thanks

mark

Am rebuilding a front axle and one side was a bet watery and the needle bearing race in the stub axle looked a bit corroded so I want to replace it to be sure its OK. I have the part but Haynes book of lies helpfully says i should entrust the job to me Land Rover dealership! So what difficulties should I be aware of and are there any helpful hints out there to make the job go smoothly.

Thanks

mark

What vehicle are you talking about first

Hi Mark, seats looking good by the way, cheers.

I was quite surprised to find this bearing, having not dismantled a 24 spline before but IIRC it had to come out in order to change one of the seals, it also does not come in the overhaul kit! I just used a pin punch I think and used the bearing to push the seal out with GENTLE use of landrovers favourite tool regreased and as the book of lies states 'refitting is a reverse of dismantling'

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy, I will give it a go. Quagmire. that article is for the wheel bearigs which are inside the hub and not the stub axle. The bearings I need to change are a very thin needle bearing affair. On the earlier stub axles I see they have a bronze bush rather than a bearing in this location

can you get a long punch down the stub and try tap the outer race out ? in work we quite often fromve outer races from bling holes , by putting a few blobs of wels on the race , usally drop out with a tap on the housing .

you could try knocking a sharp pin punch or small chisel between the outer race and the housing but i suspect the housing (stub axel) is sorter and will mark

when i done mine it all knocked out from down the stub ,

fitting new one is easy , sutable socked and a press , or pieace of wood and tapp it home

good look :)