Series Hybrid V8 engine change

sussex-landy

Well the time has come to change the engine in my 1970 series hybrid which has a V8 3.5 carb unit and a massive hole in the side of the block.

After having worked on landrovers for 20 years and completed a few restoration and rebuilds I thought I would ask for advice and feedback from anyone who has changed the V8 in a series as I have not done this before and would like to avoid pitfalls. Its pretty well shoe horned in there so I am going to take the opportunity to remove wings, bonnet, front panel and weld new footwells in at the same time.

I have the same engine to go in it to make it simple and give me some additional spares or the option to rebuild the old engine on another block. Has anyone every put a 3.9 or 4.0 engine into these.

I started out with a 3.5 sporting an Edelbrock (Weber) Performer carb. It blew monky chunks off-camber. I have never driven a 3.5 with the twin SU's, but I understand that their performance off-camber is quite good, so if that's your planned replacement, it may be worth sticking with it.

I now run a 3.5 bottom end with a 3.9 top end and 14cux EFI. It has been spectacular to date and the 14cux is what, 3 wires? Not exactly complicated. Of course you could take the opportunity to go MegaSquirt and MegaJolt, which would be very cool :D

John Utteridge has a 3.9 (as I recall) in his beast and I'm pretty sure it's MS/MJ'd up. I'm sure he'll be along to share his experiences.

Given the casting issues in the 4.0 and 4.6 blocks, slipped liners etc., that are increasingly turning up, and the theory that worn tooling in later blocks may be a factor, sticking with an older but solid 3.5 has its attractions.

I ran 3.5 V8 in my series for a few years on twin Su's. The SU's performed faultlessly, however it got changed for a 200TDi in the end cos I just couldnt put up with the fuel consumption.

Biggest trouble I had was with waterproofing, which was eventually only fixed by fitting EDIS.

Jon