Steering arm off a 4 bolt box .....

Anderzander

Just how hard is it to remove a steering arm from a 4 bolt steering box? I've been told its a nightmare of a job .....

Is it something I'd need a puller for? or is it one where its best to take it somewhere?

I want to swap a swan neck one for the straight discovery type.

I took a straight one off last week with a puller and a couple of wacks with a hammer. The puller applies something like 10ton and that hadn't shifted it...

PM me your address and I'll send you the straight one. Just pop some readies in the forum coffers to cover P&P.

From my recent experience it can be a complete b**ch!

The steering box I was going to use has the straight arm and was a nightmare to remove.

When I got it off I discovered that the previous "engineer" who removed the arm had hammered it so hard to get it off that one side had made the hole more egg shaped than round.

The drop arm I required from the original I needed for the steering box above was also a git to get off but as long as you have some patience and dont just hammer the hell out of it, it will come off.

The second one described above needed a little drop of heat applied and knocked off with a flat chisel to "shock" it off. We had to stick weld extenders for the lugs so the puller had a good grip (and make it easier for the future). It wouldnt come off just with pullers and we took our time upping the ante before it eventually came off.

I know they are a tapered spline and mine looked like it was rusted on once it was removed.

I dont know if people should just apply a little copper grease on the splines when they go back on, or if people just beef them up too hard rather than use a torque wrench?

Anyway be patient try not to resort to bashing excessively in the wrong place as you may just damage the box and the seals in the process.

HTH

Cheers

G :)