Clutch only disengages when pedal is right down

JST

Drove a mates 90 the other day and the clutch (pedal) is not in the best state from an operation point of view. The pedal has to be pressed right to the floor to get the clutch to disengage. the top part of the pedal movement does nothing.

I haven't looked at the vehicle yet.

But assuming there is no air in it and the pedal is adjusted with no slack on the pivot off the m/c what else could it be? m/c. s/c?

If there is no slack on the pivot thread, which way do you move the pivot along the thread to raise the pedal - towards the front of the vehicle i assume?

My disco was doing this, and it turned out that with the car parked on level ground, the engine/gearbox orientation meant the slave cylinder was sitting ever so slightly "nose down", and therefore the bleed nipple wasnt the highest point on the cylinder.

As such no amount of bleeding would shift all the air from the cylinder. I ended up unbolting the cylinder from the box, and bleeding it with it dangling vertically from the hose, then refitting it to the box once bled, and that sorted it.

cheers for the replies guys

sounds like a badly adjusted pedal,this should help sort it.

th_File0060.jpg

this is sort of what i am hoping and hence an easy fix

Clutch fork Pivot worn out ?

i hope not, it was replaced not long ago i am told!

My disco was doing this, and it turned out that with the car parked on level ground, the engine/gearbox orientation meant the slave cylinder was sitting ever so slightly "nose down", and therefore the bleed nipple wasnt the highest point on the cylinder.

As such no amount of bleeding would shift all the air from the cylinder. I ended up unbolting the cylinder from the box, and bleeding it with it dangling vertically from the hose, then refitting it to the box once bled, and that sorted it.

If its not the pivot i will try bleeing it and jacking up the front or removing the slave as you suggest.

I had the pins that operate on the release bearing drop out of the clutch arm :blink:

did you get an associated noises with this too?

Well it seems it was quite simple and just needed bleeding in the end. Mind you the res was nearly empty so its escaping somewhere. i couldnt see any leaks so maybe its the slave leaking inside the bell housing. will get another slave and master to fit and go from there.