Squealing sound whilst accelerating

tpk241

Hi all,

Wonder if someone could help me out before i surrender to the local independent LR garage.

I have a squealing bearing type noise thats only apparent when i accelerate. But not whilst stationary and giving it some gas. Also no noise when just letting the car run along with no accelerator depressed.

- I have had both the props off and run with just front and just back to eliminate those.

- Checked the wheel bearings, all seem ok

- Both diffs sound OK

- Removed handbrake drum to see if it had a stone in it (no such luck)

I am thinking it has to be something transmission related but my knowledge is limited.

Anyone got any ideas of what/how to check for any other culprits ?

Thanks in advance.

TPK

Are you sure its not a drive belt for the ancillaries? The cowboy (my) way to check is to spray WD40 on then drive and see if its gone.

Hi Matt,

I thought about this but wouldn't it still be squealin at say 2000rpm even if you weren't accelerating ?

Thanks

TPK

Possibly not but it would still squeal when the engine was revved with no load (ie in neutral), possibly a clutch bearing dried out then? No doubt others with far more knowledge than myself will be along soon to give a grown up answer

Good point, thanks Matt ... Elimination is the only way to get to the problem.

TPK

I agree with the induction comment.

The turbo will produce more boost when under load (when driving) so a squeal may be evident when driving, but not when static as there is no load on the engine.

The pipe between the intercooler and the inlet manifold has a tendency to pop off. ensure that the pipe is secure and air tight, check (with washing up liquid) that there are no leaks in the system.

Intercoolers can get pinprick holes in them which obviously will cause a leak. Not common but not impossible either.

If the noise is only under acceleration and not apparent when static, I would assume that the above makes sense and these are what I would try and eliminate first.

I agree with the induction comment.

The turbo will produce more boost when under load (when driving) so a squeal may be evident when driving, but not when static as there is no load on the engine.

The pipe between the intercooler and the inlet manifold has a tendency to pop off. ensure that the pipe is secure and air tight, check (with washing up liquid) that there are no leaks in the system.

Intercoolers can get pinprick holes in them which obviously will cause a leak. Not common but not impossible either.

If the noise is only under acceleration and not apparent when static, I would assume that the above makes sense and these are what I would try and eliminate first.