travel needs.

love2learn

I suppose this has already been done and if so, i cant find it. but i read a post here about tenting and the like.

after awhile i thought about what makes a sucessful trip (equipment wise)? obviously im not talking about trip spec lists... just ya everyday terestrial european camp-week-weekender.

ive knocked up a makeshift system for sleeping in my vehicle should the weather get diabolical and ive got a set of essentials that i trust and always carry.

the list could get really silly,

like i said im not tackling everest or going through the sahara just looking around europe.

what do you carry as a trusty kit?

Freeze dried rations, both food and cake/chocolate variants, water, proper coffee, and a Trangia.

"Turmat" from Norway are the most tasty freeze dried rations, "Expedition Foods" from UK cost half as much and are nearly as good.

More often than not we go to a local restaurant/pizza place/cafe/whatever, but having food and coffee with us means we are free to roam the countryside without having to be limited by restaurant closing times and the like.

This list could go on forever, and could potentially be a can of worms!

As with lots of things in life, packing for a trip is a very personal thing & what someone swears by, may be scorned by others. I also find that, not so much what you have packed, but how & where you packed it, is a very organic process. By that I mean, I always try to keep my cab tidy, as I like an uncluttered environment, but over the course of a trip (usually starting about a mile down the road!) I find that certain items 'migrate' to a more suitable storage position.

What may seem like a good place to keep a bag of sweets & a bottle of water when your parked up, might change to somewhere better once your driving.

We always make full use of all those little spaces on the dash, in and around the cubby box & behind each others seat - and still keep it feeling uncluttered.

With regards to actual kit: as by its very nature a Land Rover can take you anywhere, I often get side-tracked investigating routes. So I always like to have a selection of clothes that I can adapt to environment. For example, even though I may be driving in trainers or sandals, a pair of boots is handy if you come across unplanned mud. Likewise with trousers & jumpers/jackets - you never know when you may drive past something that looks nice & you decide to get out for a walk.

I have a sleeping bag that lives in the back of my 90 365 days a year, just in case I am somewhere where I want to spend a night.

I also always have at least a portable stove on-board & the ability to make a tea or coffee.

So, what I personally think it boils down to, is that you mainly need to carry that equipment that covers the basics like food & warmth. Everything else is just a bonus!

The first time you pack, you will end up taking too much; it is a process that you work through that allows you to discover what YOU want to carry.

HTH

Martin

gentlemen let me introduce you to the dutch pot or oven !!

available in every west indian food shop,and last FOREVER.....its a wee bit heavy beingcaste but its so wonderful,it can just be thrown on the fire and bingo.

stews porridge,currys,frying and you can use the lid too. it wontreplace a frying pan though dependin on how fussy ya are about eggs.

15 quid,

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/CastIronDutch.jpg

gentlemen let me introduce you to the dutch pot or oven !!

available in every west indian food shop,and last FOREVER.....its a wee bit heavy beingcaste but its so wonderful,it can just be thrown on the fire and bingo.

stews porridge,currys,frying and you can use the lid too. it wontreplace a frying pan though dependin on how fussy ya are about eggs.

15 quid,

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/CastIronDutch.jpg

Where does it plug in? Or is it gas powered ? :ph34r:

Hang on, strike that - "thrown on the ... bingo" - I didn't think bingo would generate enough heat?!?!? :D

I can just see the HA's reaction to stranded motorists in the UK lighting bonfires on the verge :lol:

It is practically the law in South Africa that you own a cast iron pot like this! They are brilliant! You just chuck loads of stuff in and stew it...its called "potjie kos" (pronounced Poy-key) which literally translates as Pot Food.

You buy your own pot round about when your leaving school, and everyone in your class goes away camping, and the pot lasts you the rest of your life.

This stuff is always in my Land Rover:

Fan belts

Fuses

Tool kit (extended)

Warning Triangle

Hi viz jacket

Swiss army knife

Tyre weld

12V pump/torch

Recovery straps

WD 40

Oil