its mot time

cooney?

Well its time for the girls MOT again, and low a behold right on time the ABS light is playing up. Its happened this time every year is its now going to be anther trip to the stealers to get it sorted :angry: . Is this normal for anyone else it's the 3rd year on the row its starting to p'>> me off abit.

On my 95 disco I removed the fuse - disabling the system. I found a friendly test centre who passed it. If they see the light they will fail it, if not then your sorted - you could always remove the blub.

But Gripper is right - it probably is some crud or the sensor has been knocked out a touch. normally the front left.

Good Luck!

Dave

Dangerous D the mot tester should check to see that the light illuminates then goes out so removing the bulb or fuse should result in a fail, unless they dont notice, personally i would rather solve the problem than try and cover it up

it depends on the tester really. if he/she knows landrover's, then they will be aware that the abs is separate to the main brakes, and that they will still operate if the abs is not functioning, in which case they may be sympathetic and let it pass.

the other way is to make sure that they can't drive it over 5 mph into the test bay :) at least then the light won't come on to indicate a fault.

of course the other option is to fit a small timer circuit to the lamp so that it goes off after the required 5 seconds :)

But the abs will start working with the roller test as each side is tested only one wheel has the resistance and one dosen't so the ABS lamp will fash to show activation. Your disco spec will be shown on the screen and will say ABS fitted.

All right - yes the MOT line is - if its fitted it needs to work, so if you get a strict MOT tester who doesn't know LRs and you have disconnected the ABS like me then they will fail.

The place I use, a) know me well, b) know LRs, c) are happy to help out and pass it on minor things e.g. seat belts trapped under the rear seats as I put the seats back down on top of them and forgot... opps.

The timer is a good option and one I considered. The only benifit I see to getting it working again is if you drive a Disco 2 or later where the ABS links into the TC so is handy on and off road.

Fixing the ABS can be expensive if it is not the usual culprit of the N/S front sensor being pushed a little to far away from the ring.