Tyre fitting - quick one

Night Train

I have a couple of 265 75 16 tyres and a couple of 6.5" 16" rims.

I know that from the tyre bible a 265 width tyre should be on a 7.5"-9" rim but could I get away with squeezing them on the 6.5" rims at low pressure for low speed, off the public road use? The axle weight will only be about 350kg max.

Cheers

Hi!

I really think that you shouldn´t. You can get them installed in the rims easily, but the problem is that they will come out as easily especially underinflated in the terrain. They would actually stay better on with a proper pressure, but the problem is that the tyre will not seat on the rim properly, due to a wrong angle the narrower rim makes it to seat into it. And when you apply some cornering force to it, the lip of the tyre will either let the air out or come undone. Not nice...

As you have stated off public highway use only and low speed, I would think that'll be fine; unless you are in an environment where someone might choose to sue you if anything goes wrong.

I fitted some old 265s to our trailed dung spreader to replace the even older and perished 7.50x16s. They do have tubes inside them so they're unlikely to get knocked of the bead when crossing ruts etc. I generally inflate by the rule of 'not looking soggy when loaded', so not quite sure of the pressure. The extra width gives much improved floatation and less ground damage when it's wet.

ETA: Not sure of the actual rim width, but they looked pretty narrow agricultural style. The 265 does look rather fat when mounted.

I have seen 265s on 5.5in Defender rims not recommended but a 6.5 would be better than that, minimum really is 7.0 which is what LR used to fit them to - BFG 265/75R16 were fitted on Defender 90 7x16 alloys for a while.

For what you want it will be fine.

Thanks, I think I will do it with tubes in. :)

It is only for my own slow speed use on my own bit of space so no risk of getting sued, or hurt really. There is hardly enough weight to squash them down even with out air I think! :D

A nice pair of 7.5" width 8 spokes or modulars would be good if I could find a couple near me and cheap. :)