300TDi stuck

I was wondering if I could trouble you for some help and advice.

I took my Land Rover Defender 110 Double cab out for a run on Sunday morning, took the dogs for a walk and came home again. Nothing strange happened. After lunch I was going to go to the tip and I could not start it. The engine would not even turn over. Assuming battery I tried to jump it but still would not turn over. I even tried to roll it to see if the engine would turn over, it seems to be locked solid.

I took the injectors out and it would still not turn over.

There was no smoke or drop in fluid levels, all within limits, no high temps.

Any suggetsions as to what is wrong and how to fix it?

Cheers

Thank you for the welcome. I've been a lurker for a while and forgot it was my first post.

Yes I tried turning it over with a spanner on the crank. Also rocked it in gear with injectors out so no compression and it still would not turn the engine easily. Whilst I could turn it with a fare bit of effort it made a schreeching sound and certainly could not be described as free.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a dealer on ebay that does the diodes and brush modules. Look in the parts request forum for my alternator post. Should be near the top. Hope that helps as they aren't easily obtained (from anywhere) by all accounts.

what wires to you currently have?

There are normally 3 contacts B+, D+ and W

The large brown cables should all go to B+

you'll have a small thin cable going to d+ and W probably wont have anything unless you've fitted a rev counter.

what wires to you currently have?

There are normally 3 contacts B+, D+ and W

The large brown cables should all go to B+

you'll have a small thin cable going to d+ and W probably wont have anything unless you've fitted a rev counter.

Thats what I have and and the light stays on. Best guess is duff diode. New alternator fitted at the weekend. So I think I've been unlucky. The parts shop are replacing it free though.