Suspension Choices/Axle Rebuilds/Air Lockers

With my 110 chassis shortly going off for galvanising, i need to get my suspension ordered and axles ready.

Firstly what suspension is recommended? Ive been looking at OME kits at around £600 for shocks and springs. Is this reasonable or is there a cheaper equivalent and/or a better set up for the same money?

Ill be wanting a 2in lift and dislocation system.

Next are my axles. Ill be selling my salisbury and getting a disc'd salisbury off presumably a TD5???? Ill be looking to put air lockers in front and rear, probably ARB's but open to alternative suggestions.

So my question is, what parts will i need to rebuild the axles. Are there kits for this purpose including all the seals and bits i need?

Also uprated shafts and bits. What do i look for?

This is my first serious build so i need all the info i can get. Its for mainly expedition as opposed to play and pay days, but i want the facilities there just in case, and whilst its apart would make sense.

Thank you in advance...

With my 110 chassis shortly going off for galvanising, i need to get my suspension ordered and axles ready.

Firstly what suspension is recommended? Ive been looking at OME kits at around £600 for shocks and springs. Is this reasonable or is there a cheaper equivalent and/or a better set up for the same money?

Ill be wanting a 2in lift and dislocation system.

Next are my axles. Ill be selling my salisbury and getting a disc'd salisbury off presumably a TD5???? Ill be looking to put air lockers in front and rear, probably ARB's but open to alternative suggestions.

So my question is, what parts will i need to rebuild the axles. Are there kits for this purpose including all the seals and bits i need?

Also uprated shafts and bits. What do i look for?

This is my first serious build so i need all the info i can get. Its for mainly expedition as opposed to play and pay days, but i want the facilities there just in case, and whilst its apart would make sense.

Thank you in advance...

There's quite a few questions there. Might I suggest having a flick through the tech archive first? - also an observation, when you say expadition do you mean deepest darkest Africa or somewhere a little less remote? A general good rule of thumb for Overland type vehicles is to keep them as standard as possible, so when/if you breakdown, you have a better chance of getting it fixed up, rather than needing exotic parts.

There's quite a few questions there. Might I suggest having a flick through the tech archive first? - also an observation, when you say expadition do you mean deepest darkest Africa or somewhere a little less remote? A general good rule of thumb for Overland type vehicles is to keep them as standard as possible, so when/if you breakdown, you have a better chance of getting it fixed up, rather than needing exotic parts.

A lot less tame. We're talking wales/scotland type lol

No direct experience, but the gywn lewis kit (shock mounts and things) seems to have a really good reputation.

As for the axles, it depends how detailed you want to go. I've just ordered £450 worth of parts to refurb my front axle, but that doesnt include CV's, shafts, diff or brake calipers.

I did replace pretty much everything bar the main cast swivel housing though, because i really hate looking at rusty carp! Most of it came from Brit-car, but some of the items turned out to be a little cheaper elsewhere, (swivel balls, wheel bearings and brake disks came from paddocks). It all starts adding up when your replacing bolts that are 70p each and you need 12 of them!

If you want the list of parts i ordered i can send you it over? You'll need to go thru it and see what parts your happy leaving as they are though.

Have decided on the Gwyn Lewis Challenge kit. And am going to fit my standard axles and build up the other axles once my trucks on the move and swap once completed. So ill basically start from empty casings, so ill definitely need that list Aragorn!

Have decided on the Gwyn Lewis Challenge kit. And am going to fit my standard axles and build up the other axles once my trucks on the move and swap once completed. So ill basically start from empty casings, so ill definitely need that list Aragorn!

Just like the plan on my 110. Will stick with rear salisbury though, but converted to discs. Can the list be put online maybe?

One thaught... What age is your truck?

My list is for 300tdi spec axles, and will differ on a pre-300tdi truck. I guess as long as the replacements are 300tdi/td5 spec then you'll be fine.

I'll sort out the parts lists into an online friendly format, and get them uploaded, might be a few days before i find the time though!

I'm also going to be running a disk converted salisbury (i want new calipers and stub axles anyway, so theres no point paying the premium for a real disk braked one, just to chuck it all away!

Ok guys, this is the list for the front axle:

http://friesian.lr90.org/defender/partslist/frontaxle.html

Its hopefully complete, i've probably forgotten a few bits (already realised i've missed the bolts that hold the brake disk on), but if you notice anything give us a shout and i'll amend it. Its probably also worthwhile going over the parts catalog or microcat yourself just to make sure everything is what you need, those are simply the parts i ordered for my truck. I take no responsibility if its ballsed up :D.

I need to finish off the parts list for the rear axle, as my original list was done for a rover unit, rather than for the salisbury i now plan to use.

lol ye it does add up. The only original parts that will remain outboard of the axle case are the cast swivel housing, the hub, and the driveshaft/CV, and i think the big shim washer things on the wheel bearings.

You could probably skip all the bolts etc, but i found when taking it apart most of the bolts were showing their age, and i'd rather fit fresh ones when its in bits.