snapped winch rope

white90

We snapped the 12mm at the last event

today I managed to get a few mins to sort re-splicing

I found to my surprise that the old splice was where the rope had snapped

closer inspection found the tape (insulation) had creased badly and scrunched up as the rope had pulled tight for the first time

after being repaired before, the tape had compressed so much it actually had sharp edges

I am thinking this was a part of the cause for the rope breaking again, this time I tapered the new ends far more

and when spliced I removed all traces of the tape used to draw the ends through.

Hopefully this will help avoid furture breakages at the same point.

Whenever I splice a rope I use tape as a temporary measure to get the end up the middle as it were. Before I pull the tail back into the rope I remove all tape.

Looks like you were unlucky - I only remove the tape as I thought it would reduce the friction between the outer and inner bits of rope a bit, not because I thought it would morph into a razor blade!:o

Tapering the end is vital to avoid a sharp step change in the rope.

Breaking at a splice is not in itself surprising as I think it is only about 80% of the rope strength (but you have the same detail at the hook anyway!). I am sure a grown up will be along to correct me if I am wrong....

A splice if done correctly will be stronger than the rope itself. However, the points at either side of the splice can become weaker under extreme pressure due to the difference in thickness creating greater friction especially when passing through the hawse or snatch block.

I am assuming you have spliced some where along the rope and not talking about the end. If so it is important that you have done like you say and 'play' the ends in very gradually.

Personally I do not like splices unless its at the hook and would rather have two short ropes than one with a splice in the middle.

In the middle Bob, Splicing not ideal but the rope broke after 1 event right in the middle of 100feet the first time.

Now the ends are tapered over nigh on 2ft each way on the splice, and not a sign of tape any where.

The rope snapped on a 90degree side pull.