White vapour From Diesel Fuel Tank

Hi All

I filled up my landie up with fuel (2.5TD) tonight and notice a white vapour coming from the tank as i filled up it look like steam almost!? is this right or at least safe?

As Always the wealth of knowledge in the forum is fantastic so any ideas or suggestions will be greatly received

Cheers

Dan

Hi All

I filled up my landie up with fuel (2.5TD) tonight and notice a white vapour coming from the tank as i filled up it look like steam almost!? is this right or at least safe?

As Always the wealth of knowledge in the forum is fantastic so any ideas or suggestions will be greatly received

Cheers

Dan

It was probably diesel vapours being pushed out the tank by an over zelous fuel filler speed. if your tank was empty and the fuel is sloshing about it will mist up a bit. As the air in the tank is being replaced by fuel it gets pushed out the filler pipe. I have noticed it sometimes when you get a filler nozzle without a splash guard on, or the heat from you bum (being sat on the tank) casued the tank to heat up and vapourise the remaining fuel in it. or could be water vapour condensing in the air due to bizzre climatic change?

• 5 years later...

Pulling this up from the way back.

I have a lot of white vapor coming from the fuel tank, when it's running, not just after fill up.

It's a 1985 with side fuel tank. Never had the problem before, but I did switch from an old style cap to a new style.

What a great comment from myself almost 5 years ago! I think the comment about bum heat was more tongue in cheek, but you do get a fair bit of heat pooling under the seat box from the engine and gearbox etc

That combined with the rate that pumps these days push out fuel it practically comes out the nozzle as a vapour.

It used to take an age to fill the Camel 110 that had the gauze filter in the filler. Used to foam up and all sorts...