Wipers

onions

My front wipers seem to be slowing down with age. they have now got to the point where the fastest setting is slower than the slowest setting was when they worked - if that makes any sense. The situation is the same whether I hold the stalk down (in single wipe mode) or have it clicked all the way up in continuous. They seem to improve a little if they are left running for a while. With British summer looming I thought it would be best to have working wipers when it hits. So:

Where should I be poking my large flat-blade screwdriver first?

What parts am I likely to need (from your own vast experience)?

What's all that going to cost then?

Thanks in advance as usual folks.

Not usually any problems with Discovery wipers, in stark contrast to Defender ones which don't really work even when new!

There isn't a lot to go wrong, IIRC it is a motor and a simple sort of scissors mechanism to convert the motor's rotation into a back and forth motion. Perhaps the linkage has seized up, I think it is under the trim in front of the windscreen (on the outside), that is where it is on a Discovery 2 anyway.

Otherwise I guess the motor is just tired but you will probably have to take the same bits off to get to it anyway

The ones on my DII slowed too, first speed almost stopped. I removed most of the front of the car and lubed the 'scissor' mechanism, hey presto, back to normal!

I dont quite know how to access the linkage on Disco I, but I recon that should be the first call. chin.gif

I'd say lube too. Mine started sticking, like not working at all, but some wd40 and 3in1 to lube where the spindle comes through the bulkhead was enough to sort mine.

Now they just don't park but that's a different problem.

Not quite the same house. We live in the same town and have the ISP - which should be NTL if you check it out.

Mind you, with the amount of time I spend in muddyplugger's garage the wife is pretty sure that I do live in the same house as him.

Not quite the same house. We live in the same town and have the ISP - which should be NTL if you check it out.

Mind you, with the amount of time I spend in muddyplugger's garage the wife is pretty sure that I do live in the same house as him.

And he drinks my beer!! :P Good job he's a decent bloke!

• 2 months later...
Not usually any problems with Discovery wipers, in stark contrast to Defender ones which don't really work even when new!

There isn't a lot to go wrong, IIRC it is a motor and a simple sort of scissors mechanism to convert the motor's rotation into a back and forth motion. Perhaps the linkage has seized up, I think it is under the trim in front of the windscreen (on the outside), that is where it is on a Discovery 2 anyway.

Otherwise I guess the motor is just tired but you will probably have to take the same bits off to get to it anyway

had this prob recently on my 300tdi and found the bearings at either end of the relay mechanism seized, soaked over nite in wd40 made no difference. i tryed to source the mech seperatly to the motor not available u gotta buy the motor, linkage, gasket and short loom only available frm the main dealer. be careful tho because they will try to sell u 2 looms and 2 gaskets